You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I get rid or change [No Style] in Publisher

Whenever I open a text box the font ALWAYS defaults to Arial 12pt, a font I guarantee that I NEVER EVER use.
I want to modify [No Style] to change it to my usual font style or, better still, get rid of it altogether. I have wasted considerable time trying to do this simple thing.
I'm very happy with the program but this is really bugging me. What do I do?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Paul 2707.

That's not really the way to do it.

Create a new document. Create a Text Frame and set it to your desired font and font size.

Then:

1. Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection. And then
  2. Edit > Defaults > Save.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

[No Style] is mostly there so that you can *remove* any existing style information by clicking on [No Style].

You probably want to change your Base style as that will be the style that is given to anything which is unstyled.

You can use find and replace to find anything with [No Style] and give it a style you want. 

3 hours ago, Alex White said:

You probably want to change your Base style as that will be the style that is given to anything which is unstyled.

Not meaning to be contrary, but just to clear up any misunderstanding, the portion quoted above is not correct. The "Base" style, if indeed you have such a style in your document, is still a style like any other. Text that has [No Style] applied is not affected by the settings of any style, even if it is named "Base."

The rest of the post is good.

I suspect 'Arial 12 pt' is the default for "no style" since Arial is on all computers from the start with about ten other fonts,  and Arial can display a lot of alphabets, as the Times New Roman used by default on some apps (or other fonts for some apps that install them automatically).

Since they are well known, it's easier to spot, or easier for the app to substitute for missing fonts.

You can use Base styles, set them as default, and use them instead of "no style" when you  want to clear attributes on some text, using the "T" icons or the options like Apply xxx and clear characters styles".

1 hour ago, Alex White said:

I just noticed that base style in my documents is Arial 12pt - not something that I've set so it seemed worth suggesting to the original poster that changing that might change the default that they are seeing (otherwise it is a bit of a co-incidence)

Changing Base will not affect items that have [No Style].

You need to use Edit > Defaults as I mentioned a few posts earlier.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1