Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.8.4.648

• Staff

Purpose: Updates and Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

Due to the installer issue discussed below we have chosen not to make this build available via auto-update.

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.8.4.648 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.8.3 version recently released to all customers (though it installs parallel to the release). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

---

We have a number of fixes to tools when working across multiple spreads:

• Allow immediate dragging of objects on other spreads
  • Constraining while dragging objects between spreads now works correctly
  • When dragging between spreads, snapping is now performed on the target spread candidates
  • Dragging objects between spread using the Focal Point handle now works correctly
  • Fixes for dragging curve nodes across multiple spreads
  • Fixes for 'restart drag' when translating across spreads
  • Fixed issue with auto-panning in the text tool

Plus miscellaneous updates and fixes:

• Fixed crash when dragging items in the Layers control
  • Improved performance of PDF import (~40% faster in the test case)
  • Improved performance of text when rendering text
  • Fixed vector export of text occasionally filling characters
  • Fixed crash when closing floating document 
  • Fixed New Document dialog previous document selection highlight not being remembered
  • Fixed PNG export not displaying the size warning if the export dialog was previously closed with a different preset
  • Additional logging and diagnostics added to installer to help anybody with install issues

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

20 minutes ago, Wosven said:

I'm unable to install this version on Win7.

2020-04-10_000916.png.9ab0ff3059b49074e62016532b7a8f54.png

That has been reported already for the 1.8.4 Photo and Designer betas.

Mark Ingram has been investigating, and the last post I saw indicated that he thinks the installer, as part of the enhanced logging that has been implemented to help when issues occur, has used something not supported in Win7.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for this Beta. Installation went without any Problems on my System (WIN 10 Home) and i have a feeling that the App starts up a bit faster than the current Version.
Thumbs up Guys 👍

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

• 2 weeks later...

你好,亚洲文字避头尾的问题,请问什么时候可以解决?

论坛上原来有人也提出过这个问题,这个问题相对亚洲用户来说是致命的Bug,再次强调是:致命致命致命……,希望官方引起足够重视,如果不解决,会导致软件没人购买。

这是原帖地址:https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/99065-line-breaking-rules-in-east-asian-cjk-text/

• Staff

@moma

你好,
欢迎来到Serif Affinity论坛

亚洲字符回避头和尾的问题不是该Beta的一部分,因此不应在此论坛主题中讨论,但我们希望了解该问题,并将在我们能够解决的情况下予以解决。这个主题相同

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor

非常感谢 Patrick Connor 版主的回复,首先请原谅我在这Beta主题中讨论这个问题。但在我看来,既然是软件问题,在哪讨论都一样,目的还是为了解决问题,对吗?请原谅!

实际上在中国国内,有很多设计人员在关注Affinity,为Affinity的诞生欢呼,我相信亚洲其他国家的设计人员心情应该也一样。就仅仅因为一个避头尾问题导致放弃,BUG虽小,但问题非常大(因为排好的版面,它是错误的),不仅是Publisher,连Photo、Designer也无一幸免,我感到非常可惜。在中国国内有很多人都试图找到解决方法,但最终无果。但是仍旧有很多人在盼望着能够解决,一个又一个版本的等待、测试……,但最终还是失望、失望……。

Affinity敢与Adobe竞争,为勇气点赞👍;花这么大的精力来编写软件,为辛苦付出点赞👍。软件购买这块我也做了测试,令我惊讶的是在中国市场销售,竟然不支持支付宝和微信,这么方便的支付方式(几秒钟就可以完成交易),为什么不想办法利用?销售部门的人员,你们要努力了。

但令我想不明白的是,为什么一个在我看来是非常小的BUG,却几年都没有得到解决?亚洲人口占全世界人口的67%,这么大的市场,为何不重视?如果说是不想在亚洲地区发行,那为什么又要开发这么多的亚洲语言的版本?还是解决这个问题太难?我认为不难,而是负责人员不作为。我认为在论坛上看到反馈Bug置之不理的版主或管理员,应该受到批评。负责文字这块的专家,更应该受到严厉的批评。因为这个问题会导致很多前期工作等于白做,程序员多少个日日夜夜敲击出来的代码付之东流。更严重的是直接影响Affinity软件在亚洲地区的销售,影响Affinity公司的利益和发展,而且这个利益应该是非常大的。

我的言语可能有些过激,中国有句古话:“良药苦口,忠言逆耳”,对不起了!但肯定代表亚洲大部分软件使用者的心声,再次希望贵公司重视,谢谢!

感谢Affinity所有的软件编写人员和相关负责管理人员,感谢你们的辛苦付出,最后再次感谢 Patrick Connor 朋友,希望你能帮我把问题反馈到各个部门,谢谢!🤝

Edited by moma

My goodness, after I installed the new version, all my software settings were overwritten, my job panel, assets, shortcut settings. Hell, just because I was so angry, it caused me to take a long time to adjust these things again!

10 minutes ago, Daviper said:

My goodness, after I installed the new version, all my software settings were overwritten, my job panel, assets, shortcut settings. Hell, just because I was so angry, it caused me to take a long time to adjust these things again!

In case you're not aware, the beta version (1.8.4) and the retail version (1.8.3) do not share any settings. This is true of all Affinity applications, and all versions.

So, unless you're saying that the settings you had when using a prior beta version have disappeared, nothing is wrong.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

如果您不知道,测试版(1.8.4)和零售版(1.8.3)不会共享任何设置。所有Affinity应用程序和所有版本都是如此。

因此,除非您说使用先前Beta版本的设置已经消失,否则没有什么错。

I'm pretty sure I didn't have any other setup operations, I just did the override install. My last version was 1.8.4.641.

8 hours ago, Daviper said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't have any other setup operations, I just did the override install. My last version was 1.8.4.641.

There was no 1.8.4.641, as far as I know, and I have installed (and have copies of) the installation files for all the beta and retail versions of Publisher for Windows.

Build number .641 was the 1.8.3.641 retail version.

It sounds like this might be your first installation of a beta for Publisher, and that's why you had the default settings instead of any customized settings.

-- Walt
PC: