You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator export/translation issues from Designer

I have had to subscribe to Adobe because of After Effects workflows etc. 

I am discovering that there are some issues with importing Designer-generated files into Illustrator. This is a sad day because I spend a lot of time making art in AD and I would like to be confident about one moving efficiently to the other. 

Image 1: the end piece completed in Designer. Note that it has 'erase' layers in it. It also has some imagery that is working with 'multiply' as a layer blend mode. 

screenshot.thumb.png.64f64d999a75f7c367cfe15569dd4a8c.png

Image 2: this has now been exported as an SVG file into illustrator:

screenshot.thumb.png.4b1f20bf0001c8df8864cede8015cac8.pngSome notes on this: 

a. I had to go into the layer settings and re-assign 'multiply' transparency to the shading layers. To have to manual reassign this is a pain - if there was a way of assuming that the work invested at the Designer end could translate into vector as easily as Affinity Photo does into Photoshop that would be awesome. 

b. Note that the life-changing 'erase' layer modes don't appear to exist within Illustrator. Am I wrong on this?

Unfortunately - at the moment the only way to maintain the work is to export it as a bitmap. I hope that I am wrong about this. As I start building some After Effects rigged characters I would like to have relative freedom designing from the AD end of things rather than base my entire workflow around Illustrator etc. 

Any thoughts?