You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.3] Esc soft key not present in TouchBar (MBP) [solved, not Affinity's fault]

Hi! Yesterday, I have upgraded to Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 and saw a very serious problem: the Esc key from the TouchBar has disappeared! I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2018.

I didn't really try to document it properly, so I just know it happens in the text editing mode. Which is bad! How am I supposed to end the text editing mode and enter the move mode or any other? Had you introduced this Cmd + mouse to enter the move mode like the InDesign has, this wouldn't be that serious, but man, it is! Please fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks, have a nice day everyone and stay healthy, stay safe!

I’m on Mojave on a 2017 Macbook Pro and I still have the Escape key on my Touch Bar in Publisher 1.8.3 and in the other Affinity apps.
Is it missing in other apps?
I know this is an old standby but have you tried restarting your Mac and see if the Touch Bar loads correctly?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Do you have the Touch Bar support ticked in the preferences? Not having the Touch Bar I keep it unchecked.

253628404_ScreenShot2020-04-09at8_45_06AM.png.a2d7c01264acef5c2eefc653f0b14f8b.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The Escape key is part of the OS and should remain in place regardless of Publisher’s preferences.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

How about restarting the TouchBar via the Terminal.app? – After killing Touch Bar server application it will come back. Just paste the following to terminal and enter your password when asked:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 hours ago, thomaso said:

How about restarting the TouchBar via the Terminal.app? – After killing Touch Bar server application it will come back. Just paste the following to terminal and enter your password when asked:

Yes, that's what I did. And it worked. Actually it didn't really cross my mind that it could have been a system failure, but when I got back home, I tried it and found a solution pretty quickly. 

Thanks for the reply everyone!

I leave this here as a reminder of my stupidity, rashness and failure to research the problem (I was in a hurry...).

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, bayu said:

sudo pkill TouchBarServer

not working on macOS Monterey Beta 4

I've also lost my ESC key and am running Monterery Beta 4. Nothing I do fixes my problem. Let's hope our issue is fixed in the next beta however if it is not, and you find a solution please let me know!

Hi @bayu, hi @CurtisTin, welcome to the Affinity Forums!

For macOS issues, in particular with Beta, you better / more successfully might post in Apple's according forum.
The ESC-key concern seems to be related to a change in the touchbar:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/ovq9tl/escape_key_vanished_on_monterey_beta_4/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1