You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all.
I have two documents open, and I want to pick the colour from one, and then paint it in the other. I have the two pictures open side by side. I have the paint tool active. Now if I alt drag on the sampling document, it selected the colour I want. Cool. I go back to the document I want to paint in however, and the colour is the previous colour I had selected. The right colour is in a little circle next to the colour picker in the colour panel. I have to click that before I can paint in the colour I want. WHYYYYYYYYY? For the love of the spaghetti monster why can't I just paint with the colour I just picked? In Photoshop this is EASY. This is a pain in the derriere. is this a bug or the intended behaviour?

That surprised me, too. But it is just different and slightly unexpected. I have learned to live with it. Just one extra mouse click. 🙂

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

I’m assuming that you are in Affinity Photo on Windows from your reference to Photoshop and the Alt key.

If you have the brush selected, the primary colour selector foremost and then use Drag+Alt to select a colour the colour will be added to the primary colour selector as well as the colour picked swatch. Because it is added to the primary colour selector, the brush should paint with the selected colour. I’m on Mac and this is how it works for me, it may be different on windows?

Image is for reference to correct names used on the colour panel.

1569988504_ScreenShot2020-04-09at07_47_34.png.efe24fd9ded7465c1eb1d94922664831.png

Another option would be to make a colour palette from an image as an application/system colour palette: https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Panels/swatchesPanel.html 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Why should I take color from one document and use it in a completely different document? And even replace the original color, and have to complicate to renew it again ?! Wow, that would be stupid. If by any chance I need to do it, I have it captured in the Color Selector, and I can use it at any time. Affinity thanks how easy and logical.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

This works just the same if I have separated mode active and have two images open side by side.

ScreenFlow.thumb.gif.ad463c24fcad0900c1b9c2252d5bba96.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I’m assuming that you are in Affinity Photo on Windows from your reference to Photoshop and the Alt key.

If you have the brush selected, the primary colour selector foremost and then use Drag+Alt to select a colour the colour will be added to the primary colour selector as well as the colour picked swatch. Because it is added to the primary colour selector, the brush should paint with the selected colour. I’m on Mac and this is how it works for me, it may be different on windows?

If you select a colour from another document, it does become the primary colour as long as you stay in that document. If you switch to the secondary document, then the colour you previously used that becomes the primary colour, and the picked colour is only retained as the colour picker swatch colour, so you have to click that to make it the primary colour and start painting with it. In PS, you go alt-click, then paint.

Definitely seems to be a bug in the Windows version.

Is it supposed to retain the tool selected in each document too? Like if I chose the fill tool in one document, and go to another document, it changes to whatever I last used in the other document, and doesn't keep the fill tool active.

Perhaps more as an aside than anything else, what should happen if the two documents are not using the same color profile or color space?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Perhaps more as an aside than anything else, what should happen if the two documents are not using the same color profile or color space?

Well it should translate that into the colour space of the document painting into, it's going to be pointless for the user if they pick one colour and then it starts painting in a lighter or darker colour than they were expecting.