You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo on iPad - selection to layer with mask crash

I apologize if this has been covered before but I have not seen an answer. I have Photo on iPad and every time I use the selection brush tool, refine my selection and export as mask with new layer Photo crashes. This is EXTREMELY bothersome as I would much rather work on the iPad version (using Apple Pencil) then work on my desktop version of Affinity Photo (I have Photo and Designer on both iPad and desktop as well as Publisher on desktop). I LOVE the products but if you could tell me (1) if I am missing something and/or (2) when the export selection functions have been fixed I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

• Staff

Hi ChrisGS and Welcome to the Forums,

Which model iPad do you have?  I tried it on an iPad Air and while there was a delay after clicking, it created the new layer and mask without issue.  There was a delay of about 20ish seconds where it looked like nothing was happening, but it then jumped back to life :) 

Also can you make sure you have the latest update for Photo installed from the App Store and also try restarting the iPad.

I have the same problem. I use Affinity Photo on an iPad Air 2. I have the latest version of Photo and iPad IOS. When I refine the selection and save the mask as a new layer, the program crashes. I have reinstalled Photo and restarted the iPad but it does not work. Thanks for your support. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have seen this problem before, just make sure you are selecting a PIXEL layer and not an IMAGE layer. Look in the layers studio if you are unsure. This often happens if you have used the place method to import an image, you must rasterise that image layer before you try to create a selection. Hope this helps.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 3 weeks later...

According  to someone on Twitter, it happens only when "Output" is "New layer" or "New layer with Mask."

Environment

iPad Air 3rd gen (MUUR2J/A)
iPadOS 13.4.1
Affinity Photo 1.8.3
Using with Apple Pencil

• 6 months later...

Hello, any progress with this bug ? I literally bought iPad because of Affinity Photo, it is great product but this issue is bothering. I have this iPad and Affinity Photo version:

Affinity Photo 1.8.6.198
iPad (8th. generation) 128GB wifi only.
iPadOS 14.2

This bug occures only when I choose  "Output" as "New layer" or "New layer with Mask." as @ashf said. With mask only it works but is bothering that I can't create new layer with mask directly from tool. And there is no 20s lag  as @stokerg mentioned. When I press Apply, app crashes instantly. (It closes itself and I see iPadOS main screen). When I open Affinity Photo after crash,  I see startup screen  of affinity photo so it was closed by crash.

And shouldn't be this topic in Affinity Photo - Bug Report for iPad section ??? 

Edited by tom3f

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 9:23 PM, Paul Mudditt said:

I think I have seen this problem before, just make sure you are selecting a PIXEL layer and not an IMAGE layer. Look in the layers studio if you are unsure. This often happens if you have used the place method to import an image, you must rasterise that image layer before you try to create a selection. Hope this helps.

I have a Affinity Photo 1.9.2 running on an iPad Air 3rd generation with latest iOS. As soon as I refine a selection of an image and try to insert it as a new layer or a new layer with mask, Photo crashes. I can only prevent application from crashing with this approach when I convert image to pixel beforehand.

The app should not crash and the user should be informed that a conversion to pixel is necessary, ideally would be conducted automatically.

10 hours ago, RGreen said:

I have a Affinity Photo 1.9.2 running on an iPad Air 3rd generation with latest iOS. As soon as I refine a selection of an image and try to insert it as a new layer or a new layer with mask, Photo crashes. I can only prevent application from crashing with this approach when I convert image to pixel beforehand.

The app should not crash and the user should be informed that a conversion to pixel is necessary, ideally would be conducted automatically.

It should do it automatically as the assistant setting states. Best to report in the iPad bugs section not forgetting to upload your original sample images, zipped if necessary and a screen recording of it happening to give the Dev’s a route to fixing it. 

B663030A-C992-424A-A1E7-82EC67AE12E0.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help