You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity - random blocking Move Tool

My problem with Affinity was again again ... now in Affinity Photo it was the same in Designer (all Affinity installed, newly cleaned registry and deleted AppData directories). The problem appeared when I copied a layer from one document to another (in the same AF work window) I want to scale this layer and again I can't. Scaling has stopped working. I switch to other layers and I can't scale them. I switch to other tools and return to Move tool - nothing. Layers are not locked (no padlock icon) and the scaling frame has dots rather than X. Even a moment later I noticed that in the open Affinity Designer (yes I have two Affinity applications open) Move tool also stopped working. After restarting both applications is ok. Document reopened - scaling works. I work in the final versions of Affinity (Designer, Publisher and Photo), although beta is also installed - I don't know if it matters.

Maybe the description will bring the problem closer to developers.

Platform: Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 2700X, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 2600

• Staff

Hey irokiee,

We keep seeing reports of this happening when someone copies something from say a browser or another app. I think a tablet device is also key here. Can you confirm if you are using a tablet device?

We do have a bug logged with the developers so I'll go ahead and give it another nudge. 

That's right, I have the Huion Kamvas Pro 20 (2019) tablet, the latest drivers are 14.8.90. In this case, I copied a layer from one Affinity Photo work to another. Yesterday I turned off Windows Ink because I thought it was the cause but a moment later the scaling stopped working. I scaled the mouse - I did not try with a pen.

only that by disabling the Windows Ink option in the Huion - Affinity driver stopped responding to the pressure of the pen... I gained a context menu because Affinity began to see the setting of the buttons on the pen... but I have no problem with other programs (Krita, Photoshop, Corel Painter) with emphasis regardless of whether the "Turn on Windows Ink" option is active or not... only in the entire Affinity (Pixel Persona) when I turn off Windows Ink - pen pressure does not work... in beta versions - also...

However, as for the Move Tool - it locks when I want to scale with the mouse... it turns out that I can scale with the pen - even when I use the pen and then the mouse - the scaling with the mouse unlocks (but I don't know if this is a rule or accident)... the problem is that (sometimes) I use the application on a second monitor, on which the pen does not work, only the mouse...

image.thumb.png.e305288515f6472b36214adfdd2ec0e0.png

image.thumb.png.b50204f0ad8daf4c24363bf99f4f1aa2.png

image.thumb.png.3356ace7e986afde0e2c824d7e5da5ca.png

• Staff

I'm not clear if you have tried keeping Windows Ink enabled in the Huion driver and disabled Windows Ink in Affinity Photo > Preferences > Tools. 

Pressure will stop if you disable Windows Ink in your Huion driver but it should still work if you leave it enabled in there but switch it off in Affinity.

ok, once again i'm learning something new about Affinity... although the Windows Ink option shouldn't stand up to each other, but your advice works... even if i have the right key menu! I don't know yet how it will work on the Move Tool lock - but as I noticed earlier it works under the pen and not the mouse...

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Input breaks after switching from Tablet Pen to Mouse) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon