You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping on object's corner points

Hello,

can you please help me: why does not snap parts to each others's corner points? Please have a look to the attached files: There you can see my try to create a wrench icon. See the steps I made. Why doesn't the orange part snap in right place? I've tryed different settings for snapping / aligning.

Than you for your help.

Rainer

PS: in the second attachement you can see how easy it is to create this form in Illustrater using the form creation tool. I want to have such a tool in Designer too. Serif, wouldn't Easter be a good point in time to make a present to all Designer users? Please make a easter gift within a form creation tool.

Wrench Designer.afdesign

Wrench Illustrator.png

This is an alternative way to get what you want.

Screen-Flow.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yes, that’s another way to do this specific thing with these two specific shapes but it would be nice to get more information from the OP, as requested above, to see if we can come up with a more generalised answer/solution.

PixelPest: I wouldn’t say so. They asked about snapping to “corner points” and the solutions given already don’t address that, as far as I can see.
RainerH: Can you explain – or give a diagram – showing what you mean by a “corner point”?

OK, my skills to solve exatly this problem with the wrench where to low. I think I've to work a lot to reach better knowledge of the funktions. I'm looking through Illustrator glases an some fuctions are different in AD but the AD's functions also are productive.

In the attachement in my first post I added red arrows and circles to descript what I mean a corner point is. My english isn't as gog as it should be to descript every thing and i use the german version of Affinity software so I maybe don't use the right names of the tools in AD. Here is a clipping of my design. Could you see with this picture, what I mean with "corner points"? I've no other idea how to explain it if not.

corner points.png

@PixelPest Yes exactly like so! That was the mistake: I took the move tool, and you are using the knot-tool. Please would you be so kind to try it a second time with my example ("Wrench Designer.afdesign") in my firts post. After placing the orange part in right position, please subtract it from the green one. What's your result? Thank you in advance.

10 minutes ago, RainerH said:

@PixelPest Yes exactly like so! That was the mistake: I took the move tool, and you are using the knot-tool. Please would you be so kind to try it a second time with my example ("Wrench Designer.afdesign") in my firts post. After placing the orange part in right position, please subtract it from the green one. What's your result? Thank you in advance.

Another thing you can do is use the Point Transform Tool, because it allows you to move the "Transform Origin" (The circle thing with the cross inside), and that will snap to Nodes and Paths:

• Here you can see that I moved the Transform Origin to the corner of your shape and now it can snap to the round path (the ywllow lines indicates that it's snapping io it):

image.png.5af2de59829e3bc85dd250fcf73b313f.png

• In the following example, I noved the Transform Origin to another part of the Shape and there's where the shape is goint to snap (see the yellow line again):

image.png.f8e58b7e1e445389a9b1e821c420dd93.png

Hope that helps too.

Best regards!

27 minutes ago, RainerH said:

More or less it goes like so:

BooleanSubtract.gif.0e2500413b05d1d38d7f6d837be5cac5.gif