You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.3 (Windows): New-document preset is incorrect

I have a document preset (preset — not .aftemplate file) I named "Magcloud 8in square CMYK." Color space: CMYK with the default CMYK color profile. I decided also to make a version whose color space is RGB, with the usual-and-accustomed sRGB profile.

In the New Document dialog I single-click "Magcloud 8in square CMYK."
In the settings panel to the right I alter only the settings I need to change (color space and color profile).
These changes cause the label "Magcloud 8in square CMYK" at the upper right to change to "Custom."
I click the "+" button there and a new preset named "Custom" is created.
I rename "Custom" to "Magcloud 8in square RGB."

I close the dialog without creating a new file — thinking that closing it might be required for the new settings to "take" fully. Then I select File > New, select "Magcloud 8in square RGB", and click Create.

When I view the new file's Spread Setup dialog, the Page Preset value is not "Magcloud 8in square RGB" as expected. Instead, it is "Magcloud 8in square CMYK." The document has the correct color-space and color-profile settings — but the wrong "based on preset" name. I can certainly select the correct preset name in the Spread Setup drop-down menu, but why should that be necessary? What procedure do I need to change to make the new document's info conform to the preset I first selected and not the one I didn't select? (Possible bug, or a feature I don't understand yet?)

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

It looks like Spread Setup is different to Document Setup, if you have not changed anything that appears on the Spread Setup screen (such as Margins or Dimensions) when creating your new preset then the original preset name is retained but if you do change something such as the margins setting in a new preset then the Spread Setup screen "correctly" shows the new preset name.

Confusing?
Yes

Bug or "As Designed"?
I have no idea

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You're right about the margin changes enabling the correct preset to appear in Spread Setup. But what if the margin settings were already correct? You don't want to change them unnecessarily in the preset. But if you don't change them in the preset, you get the wrong name in Spread Setup.

Worse: Let's say I make the new preset with the same (desired) margin settings as before but with the updated color space and color profile. Create a new document based on it. Now of course the preset name in Spread Setup is not correct. I decide: Just live with it; change it to the correct value in Spread Setup and click OK.

Doesn't work. The next time I open Spread Setup, the previous (incorrect) name is back. I can't change it no matter how many times I try. How could this not be a bug?
The other settings look correct in the document, the incorrect preset name aside. The data in the various drop-down menus and data-entry fields are correct. But are they? I can't really tell at this point, can I? (In a former life I was a software tester of sorts. And yes, it made me paranoid about this kind of thing.)

So how about a clumsy workaround?
1. Start with the original "CMYK" profile.
2. Make a new one based on it. Alter the new preset's page size. Alter its margins.
3. Save the new one to a new name ("temp," we'll say)
4. Make a document based on "temp".
5. Close the new document and return to File > New Document.
6. Select "temp" and now reset the page size and margins to what they should be.
7. Give this second new preset the name you actually want.

On creating a new document from this one, I find it STILL gets the old, incorrect ("CMYK") preset's name in Spread Setup. Why? I have no idea.

For now I give up. Bug 1, Me 0. I just hope Serif will notice this thread.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

4 hours ago, MikeA said:

For now I give up. Bug 1, Me 0. I just hope Serif will notice this thread.

It would be better for you to post a new topic in Publisher Bugs Found on Windows, Mike.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Posting it in the Windows bugs forum now.

– Anonymous cynic