You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problem with inpainting brush/clone tool AP 1.8.3

Usually, I use the inpainting brush and clone brush on a separate pixel layer for which current layer and below is selected.  I noticed when I exported an image on which I had made these corrections, that they could be seen in the export, but not the image when viewed in Affinity Photo.  Flattening the image before exporting cures the problem, but this is quite inconvenient.  The images are included.  Two images of the errors are provided, one with the errors pointed to.  Also, when I tried to merge the correction pixel layer with the original base layer, the corrections disappeared altogether, so flattening the document will solve the problem, but merging the two layers will not.  Update 3, it appears to be a problem caused by an interaction between the layers and the lanczos 3 (Non Separatable) compression because if I use bicubic, it don't see the artifacts.

20-05674 layer export errors.jpg

20-05674 flattened export.jpg

20-05674 layered export.jpg

Edited by GregHH
Additional info.

Hi,

completely agree. Inpaint tool doesn't work as well as it should do, even in comparison with Pixelmator for Mac.

Suddenly and sporadically it starts to produce so... regular patterns that it seems there's no AI behind...

Hope it could be better...

I sorry, but for some reason, I got no notification of any response.  Maybe I don't have the right settings.  Anyway, there are two separate issues here, 1 lanczos3 ns leaves artifacts if corrections on separate level and 2, if you use merge selected levels, the correction level will get lost and not be merged with the level beneath.

I couldn't make your system accept my upload, so here is a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sHFnyrxDTgz7toZISklnh9d-YSMQv1lU/view?usp=sharing

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey GregHH,

I'm only seeing an issue if I paint on the top layer. This also shows in the app.

If I paint on the pixel layer above the background layer, I do not see any artifacts at any point or with any of the Resample settings.

Then you are having a different response than I.  I can confirm with another image that if I paint corrections on a blank pixel layer above an image, and try to merge those corrections with the original layer using the "merge selected" setting in the layers drop down, that the correction layer simply disappears.  Or at least this happens on my computer which is which is a pretty standard mac.

13 minutes ago, GregHH said:

Then you are having a different response than I.  I can confirm with another image that if I paint corrections on a blank pixel layer above an image, and try to merge those corrections with the original layer using the "merge selected" setting in the layers drop down, that the correction layer simply disappears.  Or at least this happens on my computer which is which is a pretty standard mac.

I think you may be running into an issue that I've seen mentioned, where (if I remember correctly) the merge happens into the first layer you select. Previously, I think it merged downward.

So, given two layers A and B, with A above B, and your corrections painted in A, try selecting layer B, then A, and then do your Merge Selected. That may give you what you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey GregHH,

I'm only seeing an issue if I paint on the top layer. This also shows in the app.

If I paint on the pixel layer above the background layer, I do not see any artifacts at any point or with any of the Resample settings.

Here is a little video of one of the problems I am having...

• Staff

Hi GregHH,
This is a known issue (Merge Selected) that's already logged to be looked at. If you select the bottom layer first then add the second layer to the selection it will merge the layers correctly. Same with the first document you posted above - start selecting the layers you want to merge from bottom and it should work as you expect. Sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.