You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export function crashes the software

Hello !
I'm French, I'll try to make you understand my problem.  I have installed the 3 Affinity softwares (Publisher, Photo and Designer). On each software, I find the same bug: as soon as I want to export a file, the software crashes directly. The software version is V.1.8.3, I work under Windows 10 family, x64 processor, 8 GB RAM memory.
Where do you think the problem could come from?
Thank you for your answer

• Staff

Hi mimizen,

Have you tried this with a different file or a new document? It sounds specific to the document. If it is, could you attach a copy of that document please? If it happens for a new document, are you able to get a screen recording demonstrating the crash please?

Hello, and thank you for your prompt response.
Each time I create a new document in which I have totally basic things. On the 3 softwares, when I use the "export" function, the screen freezes, and I am forced to force the software to quit because it is totally crashed.
I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it, but nothing helps. It's a real problem because, for my work, I have to export the files on Affinity Photo as jpg or png, the files on Affinity Publisher as pdf or jpg, the files on Affinity Designer as png or pdf.
I'm attaching the source files and screenshots for the 3 softwares.
I'm really counting on you to find a solution to my problem because I'm very annoyed.
Sincerely

screenshot Designer.jpg

screenshot Photo.jpg

screenshot Publisher.jpg

Test Designer.afdesign Test photo.afphoto Test Publisher.afpub

• Staff

Hi Mimizen,

Nothing seems out of the ordinary with those documents. Could you do a couple of things please.

1. When you say you're having to force quit it I presume that is from Task Manager? If so could you right click the Affinity Designer process and select 'Create Dump File'. This will be created in your Temp folder which can be found in Windows by typing %Temp% into the Run dialog. Inside this folder should be a file called 'Designer.dmp'. Could you attach that to the Dropbox link I've created below? This goes to our internal Dropbox account.

2. Could you ensure Designer is closed and go to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and zip up a copy of the 1.0 folder and attach that to the Dropbox link below.

3. After zipping that folder up, could you rename it to '1.0 Old' and then restart Designer and see if that stops the crashing.

Thanks,

Dropbox Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/NS58eHSCoxcxMf5UtW4S

I'm sorry, I didn't get an answer from you, it worries me. I bought this software for my work, and because of the problem caused by the Export function, I'm blocked from saving the documents...
Thank you for answering me as soon as possible.
Cordially

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi mimizen,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been speaking to development regarding your issue and it looks like it maybe related to the amount of files you've got in your Windows Temp directory. 

1. Could you first try downloading a sample from the Welcome Screen please - does this cause a similar hang?
  2. Could you start Windows 'Event Viewer' up and go to the 'Administrative Events' section and look through the list to the time of a hang/crash that you're getting (repeat the hang if you have no recent ones). If you select all the entries around that time (You can use Shift+Click to select a range) and then right click and go 'Save Selected Events' ensuring you save with English Display Information - this should save a Windows event log that might be able to give us some more information. If you could attach that that would be very helpful.
  3. Could you go to %temp% and remove any files from that folder please and then try to export again.
  4. If number 2 doesn't work could you try creating a new user account on your machine and try exporting from that please?

Thanks,

• Staff
7 minutes ago, mimizen said:

Hello Sean P !
And thank you for your response and for your interest in my problem.
What do you mean about "sample from the Welcome Screen"?
First of all, I send you as an attachment the result of the Windows Event Log recording.
Thank you very much.

affinity publisher problems.evtx 68 kB · 1 download

Not a problem! It's frustrating not being able to duplicate the problem you're having to aid!

On the Welcome screen (the screen that appears after starting the application, also accessible from Help > Welcome) there should be an option in the top right called 'View Samples' (see attached image). If you click this can you download and open one of the samples? Development suggested that this uses the same mechanism that the export dialog is using when it hangs - we would like to know if this hangs in the same way.

Unfortunately the Event Log attached is just listing some warnings with Windows Tiles Cache (its a common thing and nothing related to Affinity, or anything to worry about). Do you have any other things inside the Event Viewer that reference Affinity?

Have you tried emptying your %Temp% directory or creating a new user if that doesn't work?

Capture.JPG

• Staff
15 hours ago, mimizen said:

I've created a new user, and... it works perfectly!!!!
I'm thrilled!
Thanks a lot for your advice and research, it's great !

Take care of yourself.

Hi mimizen,

Thank you for being patient with us! I'm glad creating a new user has worked and allows you to export in the meantime. Development will be looking at putting a fix in for what is causing the hang on your machine so hopefully this shouldn't be a permanent work around!