coranda

Tonal Selections Ignore Child Filters

In AP: If tools such as Select Sampled Colour or Tonal Range are used on a layer with a live filter, a vignette for example, the effect of that filter is ignored by the selection process unless the filter is applied destructively.

I see what you mean here but I think this is by design. The live filter layers are similar to adjustment layers, although they may alter the colour in an image, the layer itself does not have any colour information so there is nothing to select. As the sample colour and tonal range selections are layer based instead of whole document, it has to drag the pixel information from the image it is attached to so it can make a selection.

hope that makes sense  :unsure:

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I hope it's not by design because I don't think that makes sense intuitively.  If you look at a layer I think that should be the guide as to what is selected.  If I have an image on a white background to which I've applied a vignette it will look dark in the corners so to have "select highlights" also selecting the dark corners is counter intuitive.

That approach suggests that only destructive editing makes a layer behave as it looks and destructive editing is not what new image editing software should be encouraging.

If the adjustment/filter is on a layer above the one being edited then ignoring it makes sense.  However, if the filter is a child then it is clipped to only apply to the parent layer.  It is effectively part of that layer and so for editing tools to ignore it seems to me to be poor, counter-intuitive design.  I would be surprised, and disappointed, if that were by design.

I want to bump this back to the top because I'd like to hear from Serif one way or the other.  What I'd like to know is not necessarily how soon this will be addressed but whether or not the devs see this as a bug that needs eventually to be fixed.  It seems to me that a child adjustment is part of a layer and so should be taken into account when tonal/colour based selections are made.  Do the devs agree or do they think the adjustment needs to be made destructively before selection tools see it?

This just happened to me too, I intuitively expected "Select > Tonal Range" to apply to the selected layer as displayed on screen after applying adjustment layers.
When no layer is selected the "Select > Tonal Range" does not select anything.

The behavior may be "by design" when a layer is selected, but I suggest re-designing such that when no layer is selected the selection applies to image as displayed on screen.