You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am a new Affinity Designer user. I use Illustrator since 20 years. In the last week i tried the Designer features. My productivity is most disturbed by differences in selections and snap functions.I work with grids most often and every point is in a calculated place. 

But what I don't know is because I'm a beginner here. so now I am looking for the answer to these questions. (I have attached a sample of the attempt)
1. How can i move any type of object with one point (corner/middle/centre, etc) selection?
2. How can i select a background object in a donout inside?
3. Can i snap the donout inside point to the grid?

Thank you!

Selection.jpg

Selection.afdesign

OK. My first question have an answer. :-) My old routine. In Illustrator if a change the selection tool to direct selection tool, all points of the actual object keep active. Therefore i can move the object with a corner/middle point selection to snapping. In the Affinity Designer if i change move tool to noodle tool, the points of the active objects are inactive. Therefore i need to select all point first. This is a plus step. :-)

1 hour ago, gyalogosdesign said:

1. How can i move any type of object with one point (corner/middle/centre, etc) selection?
2. How can i select a background object in a donout inside?
3. Can i snap the donout inside point to the grid?

Hello @gyalogosdesign,

@1: With the Move Tool active look at the toolbar for 'Show Alignment Handles' (see screenshot). Once turned on you can use these handles to drag them to snapping points like the grid.

show-alignment-handles.thumb.png.28b3106aa3e61d2b3b4c27ab5821b784.png

@2: when you hold ALT and click on one of the green rectangles you 'drill down' the stacking order. Thus the first ALT+click selects the donut. The second ALT+click selects a green rectangle.

@3: I'm afraid there is no way to snap to the inside of a donut. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

36 minutes ago, dominik said:

@2: when you hold ALT and click on one of the green rectangles you 'drill down' the stacking order. Thus the first ALT+click selects the donut. The second ALT+click selects a green rectangle.

@3: I'm afraid there is no way to snap to the inside of a donut. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Dear Dominic!

Thank you for your tips! I tried and it is works. :-)
@3 I hope to have a "sticky" donut one day.

20 minutes ago, G13RL said:

If you display "Enable Transform Origin" you will be able to snap the center point of the doughnut to the grid by moving the doughnut itself (do not move the point itself but the doughnut).

Hi @G13RL and hello @gyalogosdesign,

this is a very good tip. Especially since you can move the Transform Origin point to the inner border of the donut and it will snap there at one of the horizontal or vertical axises. If you then move the entire donut the Transform Origin snaps to the grid. Thus you accomplish what you've been looking for.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

10 minutes ago, G13RL said:

It's just a shame that the centre of rotation disappears during the movement, it doesn't make things easier.

Yes, this is irritating and should be improved.

d.

1 hour ago, gyalogosdesign said:

By the way, it would be helpful to be able to give the thickness of the donut not only in percent but also in millimeters.

That's a good point. In some other input boxes this works already. It would be worth to post this as a seperate feature request.

d.

6 hours ago, gyalogosdesign said:

I started this feature request. 🙂

Yes, but this thread is about snaps and selection.

Each feature request should have its own thread. That's the only way others can peruse the feature requests in a navigable list in order  to comment on them. That's also why no one should ever create those annoying 'My Top 10 List of Feature Requests' threads. That just wastes the purpose of the thread title and effectively buries all of the feature requests in a meaningless grab-bag. No one is going to open and read through everyone's 'My Wish List" to see what thing(s) are actually being discussed.

That's why Dominik suggested your putting it in its own thread. It certainly is a request with high merit, so it should be discoverable in the list of threads.

JET

24 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

Each feature request should have its own thread.

Hi @JET_Affinity,

in @gyalogosdesign's defense I want to point you to the post where the user actually started a new thread:

That was right before posting about it in this thread here. Maybe you missed that one 🙂

In other words, the request is already on it's way.

Cheers,
d.

22 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @JET_Affinity,

in @gyalogosdesign's defense I want to point you to the post where the user actually started a new thread:

Cheers,

d.

Yeah, I saw it after posting above.

But I wasn't attacking gyalogosdesign, and no offense was intended. ;-)

My comment was as much for the general readers. As you know, posting multiple different requests as a personal wish list in a single thread is bad practice, but unfortunately a very common one in forums like this.

JET

On 4/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, G13RL said:

Hello @dominik,

It's just a shame that the centre of rotation disappears during the movement, it doesn't make things easier.

Using Move Tool (v) on a Mac, hold down ctrl (not cmd) and drag the pivot to move the object with the pivot and without the pivot disappearing. (I guess that would be dragging the pivot with both mouse buttons on Windows.)

Also, if you drag the object with Point Transform Tool (f), then the pivot does not disappear.