I presume that you are referring to a 1-bit mode. All pixel images are bitmaps. 

This request has been raised many times and, as yet, the devs have not really given any convincing explanation why not. I would presume that it is just too low on their list of priorities.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,3 Designer 1.8.3 and Publisher 1.8.3 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

7 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

and, as yet, the devs have not really given any convincing explanation why not. I would presume that it is just too low on their list of priorities.

Is it truly relevant for an application whose primary task is editing photographs, and might that exlain a low priority?

(I can see it as being more relevant for Designer, of course. And if Designer had the support Photo would inherit it. But I don't understand the direct relevance for photo editing.)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

There is an extended thread here with many users asking for a 1-bit mode, giving their reasons too.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,3 Designer 1.8.3 and Publisher 1.8.3 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Even though many user asked for it and explained in detail the many uses of 1-bit images, the developers made it very clear that there are no plans whatsoever to implement it (search the forums, there's many topics on this).

They might or might not change their minds in the future, but currently the answer has to be: No, there isn't -- If your work or workflow requires 1-bit images, Affinity is not for you!

Take a peek at "PhotoLine" -- great software, super fair price!!!

7 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

There is an extended thread here with many users asking for a 1-bit mode, giving their reasons too.

Thanks. 

I am not arguing that 1-bit is unnecessary, but every time I read one of those discussions, my conclusion is that it's definitely appropriate for Designer and Publisher, but I don't see the relevance for Photo.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. 

I am not arguing that 1-bit is unnecessary, but every time I read one of those discussions, my conclusion is that it's definitely appropriate for Designer and Publisher, but I don't see the relevance for Photo.

The support would be needed in APhoto so AD and/or APub could make use of them. A photo editing application is what is adept at controlling the various conversion methods to 1-bit, not AD/APub. The latter two just needs to be able to use them properly, but APhoto would be needed to make ém.

Engineer thinking says more is more and 1-bit graphics is so '80s anyway. We will get 64-bit graphics before 1-bit, I am afraid.

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. 

People don't use Affinity Photo or Photoshop just to deal with photographs. Are you kidding or what?
Bitmap mode is used frequently for black and white line art because it reproduces sharper  as explained in that previous thread and for other uses.

People have asked for it from day one and nothing has happened in how many years, four or five?

The fact that it is not there, along with proper percentage scaling tools or even basic duo tone stuff,
suggest that this is destined to be a hobbyist program and not a true Photoshop replacement, unfortunately.

None of these things are difficult to implement and should have been there from the start.

4 minutes ago, nik78 said:

People don't use Affinity Photo or Photoshop just to deal with photographs. Are you kidding or what?
Bitmap mode is used frequently for black and white line art because it reproduces sharper  as explained in that previous thread and for other uses.

No, I'm not kidding. There are 3 Affinity applications and they are targeted at different uses and different users. Black and white line art is, in my opinion, more appropriately dealt with in Designer, not Photo.

The Affinity Suite certainly needs bitmap capabilities, but what I am saying is that the people who need it seem to almost universally talking about drawing comics, etc. which (again, in my opinion) is a Designer activity, not a Photo activity. They should be asking for it as a Designer enhancement (and it would by the nature of the Suite carry over into some aspects of Photo, too).

-- Walt

You should be kidding because no one works that way.

They are all used together and not for one specific purpose.

That should be Affinity's goal (and  it sort of appears to be going that way).

I've been in this business for 35 years. That's the way it's done.

That is the way professionals work.
No one relies on one app as being good for just photos or illustration or anything else.

You go from one to the other all the time.

Solution is :

Affinity Designer should have a "no antialiasing" export option as Illustrator does.

Add bitmap mode to Photo and the problem is gone and you will get a lot more illustrators as customers.

Like I said: should have been there from day one.

But why is it Photo that needs bitmap support? Why isn't it the Suite that needs it? Theres a separate forum for suggestions that need to apply to the Suite.

And why should people coming from lllustrator be using Photo? Designer is targeted at that audience more than Photo is.

But yes, I agree that no one should be relying on just one of the Affinity applications. At their price point, users should have all 3, and use the one(s) that fit their needs of the moment.

Still, Serif will decide the partitioning of function between the applications, and those who want a smoother workflow between Photo and Designer can get that by using Publisher.

-- Walt