You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I have a really weird issue with colours not displaying as they should. If i create a new document the background paper is displaying correctly as bright white. If I then draw a square box for instance the colour inside the box is a warm cream, even though the colour settings in RGB Hex are set to FF for all three values.

If i save the file and send it to a friend who has AD as well when he opens the document he sees, correctly a white square on a white background. There is no difference between the square and the background. This is obviously something wrong with my settings in AD but I can't figure out what.

all the best

Jonathan

Weird.png

Edited by GringoHairpiece
adding image

The first place to look is colour format and colour profile both accessed from the Document setup or when you create the document, the next step is to look at the Preferences settings under the colour tab and then the system colour settings on your PC.

Check what settings your mate has in Preferences and what you have.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Possibly this will help, though as you have a white canvas I'm not sure:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, yup my settings are all the same as yours. Really struggling to understand this. It's not my monitor because in Inkscape, Paint.Net, Gimp etc everything is as it should be. As you can see from my photo in the original post the canvas is pure white. It just seems Affinity Designer won't let me create images that are pure white or to be more accurate won't display them. 
I have attached examples below. The first image is a screen capture of how the image is displayed inside AD, the second is a screen capture of the image when it is exported from AD.

Display.png

Output.png

Go through the control panel to check the profile of your monitor.
1/ close AD
2/ open the control panel.
3/ type "management" in the "search" window in the top right-hand corner
4/ in "color management", click on "advanced", choose "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" for the device profile (first box at the top).

Sorry if the terms are not the right ones but English is not my native language.

Color profil_2.jpg

Hey guys, problem solved :) As Haakoo correctly identified although my monitor was set to 'RGB' when i went into colour management it was using the default colour profile supplied by Benq. Switched it to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and everything is as it appears. I guess none of the other packages I used before used these settings which is why I haven't encountered this problem in the past. Thanks for all your help on this.

• 3 years later...

I received this from another user and worked first time try "resetting" the software would help. If you hold the ctrl key down (and keep it down) while launching the application you'll get a Clear User Data dialog. I'm not sure exactly what options in there might be applicable for this situation, but if you're considering a full reinstallation it might not hurt to reset everything. A user who's been here longer than I might have more ideas