You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grid artifacts using live Gaussian Blur

Grid artifacts appear after having applied a live Gaussian Blur.
I first noticed the bug with v1.8,2 and hoped it would vanish with with the betas, V1.8.3 came out failrly quickly and, unforunately, the bug ist still there.

Let's start from the beginning. Applying a Gaussian Blur to an edge masked  "Unsharp Mask" layer. Everything seems fine, but the grid is already there (and spoiling the unsharp mask)

img1.thumb.jpg.30c2517c41198e767a614d603be0428c.jpg

Let's make the grid visible with a Curves adjustement

img2.jpg.2119754bf01a21018f82036fe0770646.jpg

img3.thumb.jpg.f4269596f4cb20d9662e354f74041fbc.jpg

Moving the slider of the Gaussian Blur changes the grid

img4.thumb.jpg.4f2ed283ea6fb1b5f4160475fbd57867.jpg

Zooming in also changes the grid

img5.thumb.jpg.80a04460667a932e939e927521b3e13d.jpg

affinityBug.afphoto

• 3 months later...

Beta 1.8.4.676 is out, but, unfortunately, this bug is still not fixed,. I fear it won't even be fixed in the production release 1.8.4. which would mean that I have to wait for another 3-4 months.

Apparently the severity of this bug got got wrongly judged by the developers.
It happens in the process of "edge sharpening", which is a common technique, particularly useful in sharpening night scenes, to avoid increasing the noise by only sharpening the edges. The Gaussian Blur is needed to smooth the edges of the mask previously created by the "Edge Detect" filter to avoid nasty artifacts.

The grid lines,caused by the Gaussian Blur, even if they are not clelarly visible, prevent that sharpening takes place under those lines, Of course this is unacceptable.

Because there is no workaraound for this bug, I can't use this sharpening technique anymore. Even worse, I can't import a few images I've already processed into Affinty Publisher, because they are not correctly sharpened.

So I really would be very grateful if the bug could be fixed as soon as possible.

Which brings me to another point:
reinstalling release 1.8.1 over 1.8.3 crashes. Of course I can inistall 1.8.3 and the install 1.8.1. I just fear, that I might loose my customizations and macros during this process.
Is it safe to reinstall 1.8.1 in this way or are there othe possibilities ? 

On 4/7/2020 at 7:20 PM, Chris B said:

Thanks Tinus, I've reproduced and logged this.

Welcome to the forums! 

14 minutes ago, Tinus said:

Beta 1.8.4.676 is out, but, unfortunately, this bug is still not fixed,. I fear it won't even be fixed in the production release 1.8.4. which would mean that I have to wait for another 3-4 months.

Apparently the severity of this bug got got wrongly judged by the developers.
It happens in the process of "edge sharpening", which is a common technique, particularly useful in sharpening night scenes, to avoid increasing the noise by only sharpening the edges. The Gaussian Blur is needed to smooth the edges of the mask previously created by the "Edge Detect" filter to avoid nasty artifacts.

The grid lines,caused by the Gaussian Blur, even if they are not clelarly visible, prevent that sharpening takes place under those lines, Of course this is unacceptable.

Because there is no workaraound for this bug, I can't use this sharpening technique anymore. Even worse, I can't import a few images I've already processed into Affinty Publisher, because they are not correctly sharpened.

So I really would be very grateful if the bug could be fixed as soon as possible.

Which brings me to another point:
reinstalling release 1.8.1 over 1.8.3 crashes. Of course I can inistall 1.8.3 and the install 1.8.1. I just fear, that I might loose my customizations and macros during this process.
Is it safe to reinstall 1.8.1 in this way or are there othe possibilities ? 

This error is critical. should be fixed.:)

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

• 2 months later...

Celebrating 6 months existence of this bug

In the past few days I gave up hope that this bug will ever be fixed.
I invested quite some time to find a workaround, taking different ways. Finally, I found  a solution. Even better than the one I used before.
So I was wrong in my first comment. There was a workaround.

I rewrote my macros and reworked 50+ images. I finally could upgrade from version 1.8.0 to 1.8.5

On the positive side I learned a lot about Affinity Photo-

On the negative side there remains a tiny grain of bitter feeling being ignored and left alone.

But let's move on. Thanks to Serif for all the work and free upgrades of the Affinity suite

But  .... friendly reminder: the bug is still out there

Hello Tinus,
this "Grid artifacts" bug has been around much longer than you might think and I've actually given up asking Affinity Team about it ☹️

My guess: it is very complicated to get the problem under control and requires a complete rewrite of the source code! Because the calculation algorithm is possibly the core of the program and it extends over the whole software range of Affinity!