You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It's simple: you usually save many presets depending of your different workflow.

(1) To not clutter your presets list with variants you only use few times, you won't save those variants, that can be simply the option "all pages" set to "all spread".

Depending of the stage of the document you're working on, you know which preset you 're using (for example in the beginning stage lower resolution and no bleed, no marks when sending PDF to clients and copyeditors, at the end print ready PDF with full resolution, bleed, etc.).
It's logical when you export again your document at the same stage, to know which preset you're using.

There are few ocurrences when you'll modify this preset (for example export to spreads for book covers or for small pages documents).
You always do the same modifications for this type of documents but (1).

It's important when you export again this document—and you can do this many times in a day—, to have the name of your modified preset instead of a blank name, and be able to check in a glance that it's set for example to spread instead of pages (the usual modification you would do to this preset at this stage for this type of document).
If all is what you expected, you only need to export.

In doubt or if it's not the preset you want, you reload the needed preset, do if needed your modification, and export.

The important part in this is to be able to read the name of the modified preset.
There are 2 ways to know which options of this preset are modified: you know all the settings, and can check in a glance which was modified. The app can append an "*" or underline the ones modified (it would be nice).

When exporting many times a day the same document, it's most than usefull, it's a time saver.

20 minutes ago, Wosven said:

It's important when you export again this document—and you can do this many times in a day—, to have the name of your modified preset instead of a blank name, and be able to check in a glance that it's set for example to spread instead of pages (the usual modification you would do to this preset at this stage for this type of document).
If all is what you expected, you only need to export.

But if all it shows is the name of the preset you began with + [Modified] there is no way to know if it is still modified in the same way.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

31 minutes ago, R C-R said:

[Modified] there is no way to know if it is still modified in the same way.

I'll repead myself again: but it's usually small modification about 1 option you usually do, so it's easy to check, or if it's more important modifications, you save it as a new preset.

1 minute ago, Wosven said:

I'll repead myself again: but it's usually small modification about 1 option you usually do, so it's easy to check, or if it's more important modifications, you save it as a new preset.

1. It is not necessarily or even usually just a small modification. Workflows differ.

2. Even if it is, just adding [Modified] does not tell you if by accident or intent it is no longer the same small modification.

3. Also, do not forget that particularly for AD & AP, there may be more than one document open at a time & someone may want to export two or more of them using different export options.

4. This also must work with StudioLink in APub & with all the 'Edit in...' file menu options for all the Affinity apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

1. It is not necessarily or even usually just a small modification. Workflows differ.

Please, keep on explaining to me how to do my work and how I don't know what I'm doing for so many years, I love it!

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

2. Even if it is, just adding [Modified] does not tell you if by accident or intent it is no longer the same small modification.

Again, re-read my posts, I explained twice for you to understand.

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

3. Also, do not forget that particularly for AD & AP, there may be more than one document open at a time & someone may want to export two or more of them using different export options.

Oh! people can work on more than a document at a time? How new… That's when memories and good apps are here to help you with… for example preset with "modified" in the name.

36 minutes ago, R C-R said:

4. This also must work with StudioLink in APub & with all the 'Edit in...' file menu options for all the Affinity apps.

A common folder with presets already made and save would be usefull, or the option to export/import presets, since it's a pain to recreate them each time a new version need us to recreate them, and it would be usefull to export/import presets in the Export persona too.

Perhaps you need to work in our area to better understand why we ask for some changes in what can be details but mean a lot in a day to day basis of repeated tasks that can be improve with small things.

22 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Please, keep on explaining to me how to do my work and how I don't know what I'm doing for so many years, I love it!

I am only pointing out that not everyone works the same way as you do.

Affinity Photo 

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am only pointing out that not everyone works the same way as you do.

I worked as an independent and in different companies, and I can assure you, there  are not 500 ways to export PDF or so many different ways to do some tasks that you won't understand what is doing some coworkers or independents.

We can find new way to do some tasks in this forum, but the main and most important is that we can understand each other because we usually have the same way(s) to adress issues, even if we came from cultural and different background, and there are no 500 ways to use presets or export PDF (but we can have 500 different presets).

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

Serif should make it possible to save the export settings with the document/template like it does with assets.

But aren't we talking about using more than one set (but less than 500 sets) of export settings with one document? How would anyone know which one to use unless each of them was given a unique & descriptive name?

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But aren't we talking about using more than one set (but less than 500 sets)

Perhaps for the Export persona, and I didin't create more than 10 of those counting PDF, PNG, JPEG and SVG, but for PDF presets, you have max 15 if you want to be versatile. part for PDF for clients, part for PDF for press ready, part for web.

That's why you keep only the most important of them and do few modifications — usually the same ones in a click when needed for a special export—, it's simpler than managing 500 presets and only using few of them each day and cluttering your list with some you'll take more time to find when needed than clicking an option.

And you don't need 500 presets for different size of paper, but few presets for different quality of paper/colour.

Some people always work with the same preset for press ready, and the printer adjust depending of the paper used. That's when you've got/get more technical like maker service people working with you that they'll teach you about different presets for different papers, it can be teach by your printer too.

And another point about preset for press ready PDF: it's important to be able to import/export them since it's usually the makers or the printers that create them and give you the ones you need.

It can be coupled with settings for managing colour profiles, so each computer will behave  and produce the same work, same type of images, PDF, etc. It's important to be able to save, import and export all of those, and not having to manually create or set each app to those settings, or modify each computer settings when you need to modify a parameter.

[edit]It would be usefull on one computer with the 3 apps and bêta version, and more for team using the apps.[/edit]

17 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Perhaps for the Export persona, and I didin't create more than 10 of those counting PDF, PNG, JPEG and SVG, but for PDF presets, you have max 15 if you want to be versatile. part for PDF for clients, part for PDF for press ready, part for web.

Please note the difference between sets & presets. I assume it is the former that you are referring to (a collection of export options not saved as an app preset but in some way based on an existing preset), right?

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

note the difference between sets & presets.

I've noted them and it would be usefull to be able to export/import the 2 of them instead of needing to open an older version of the app and of those, to set them identical in the new one.

Presets usually work best if your apps are properly set and you won't have bad surprises (like working with the wrong profiles and exporting PDF with some other ones, ending up with colour change, or DPI and PPP settings, etc.).