You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Insert / Embed audio files into Affinity Publisher

Hi,

Tried looking into the forums and I don't think I'm finding what I need.

What I want to do: export a PDF file with buttons where if you click, it plays a short audio file.

What I have tried: Right click on an object, go to "Interactive", then click on "Insert Hyperlink...". Then, choose choose "File" as the "Hyperlink Type", and put a check for "Include File for Export". Finally, I choose path of file.

When I export the PDF, this does not seem to work. The expected behavior of any interactive PDF would be to simply play the file. However, my PDF from Affinity Publisher 1. attempts to open a link on my browser, 2. the url in my browser is roughly the local address to the file I've chosen.

If anyone could help me with which buttons I'm supposed to click, that'd be awesome :D

Affinity Publisher does not support links to audio files of any kind. Only graphic file formats it can open are supported, so no video files either.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, noeaze said:

Aw I see... well I hope this bug is fixed soon.

Its not a bug; just something that hasn't been implemented.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Its not a bug; just something that hasn't been implemented.

In this respect, it is just like animation or anything else that is not a static graphic element. Since they have said they have no plans to support anything else, the PDF would have to be edited in some other app that supports such things.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 10 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 8:09 AM, noeaze said:

Hi,

Tried looking into the forums and I don't think I'm finding what I need.

What I want to do: export a PDF file with buttons where if you click, it plays a short audio file.

What I have tried: Right click on an object, go to "Interactive", then click on "Insert Hyperlink...". Then, choose choose "File" as the "Hyperlink Type", and put a check for "Include File for Export". Finally, I choose path of file.

When I export the PDF, this does not seem to work. The expected behavior of any interactive PDF would be to simply play the file. However, my PDF from Affinity Publisher 1. attempts to open a link on my browser, 2. the url in my browser is roughly the local address to the file I've chosen.

If anyone could help me with which buttons I'm supposed to click, that'd be awesome :D

Howdy!

This is for V 1.9 of publisher. I have always wanted Apub to have some multimedia capabilities like Acrobat or Mac Pages. It is the future. Serif is orientated to print and DTP. Oh well, they are still a great company. Hyperlinks will link to audio or video files via Url, but this requires internet access. My goal is for standalone PDF document or folder that plays video or audio without internet access, for example in the middle of nowhere you might want to read a book on a device with video etc.  Well.... maybe this will work:

1) Link to an audio or video "File" on your local hard drive using Hyperlink function in Apub.

2) When you export PDF check the box that says "Include file on export". This automatically creates a copy of audio or video file and places it in same folder as PDF. Open exported PDF in PDF reader and click on link (I use Foxit Reader). It opens the video or audio file locally in your default browser automatically. If the browser is not open it will open automatically. This can all be done without internet. I have experimented by putting exported PDF and Video/Audio in another folder ( and it seems to work. This means that the video/audio file address is a relative location to the browser and should be in same folder as PDF export.

Other people trying to access multimedia in a PDF export with Apub without internet please chime in. I have not tried moving folder (PDF and linked Audio/Video) to iPad or a device yet. This is not the same as an embed (Pages or Acrobat) but it appears to be functional non internet approach just so long as audio/video is included with PDF in same folder. I have not tested this thoroughly on Mac or any other device.