You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Improvement request: "Font Book collection"

With macOS, the default Font Book app comes with lots of fonts. There's a way to sort them as you wish by using Collection. By default there are 5 Collection presets (Amusement, Moderne, PDF, Traditional, Web), but you can obviously add some as you need. And there is also a "Smart Collection". 

image.png.45aec517290c144c9b08e84629338e0f.png

What I'd like is to find back these Font Book collections in the Font selection located in Context Toolbar. At the moment, we can only find All, Recent, Used, Favourites. 

image.png.f4c559d194616b21fb4a5fa2fe0a4439.png

Best if we could choose a font also from "Collection" or "Smart collection".

- report from macOS Mojave / Publisher v1.8.3

-macOS Ventura - Affinity Suite v2.2.1

I am also wanting this. We can choose from the Font Book collections when using the Paragraph or Character panels so the omission is maybe down to compatibility with Windows.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

As you can already choose them in the Paragraph and Character panels on Mac, I doubt that compatibility with Windows is a factor. Most likely something they just didn't think about implementing, or haven't gotten around to yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're right, thanks! I forgot to look in the Character panel. I actually never use the Character panel, but the Context toolbar instead. That's the reason of my improvement request!

However the Paragraph panel doesn't offer the font choices.

So, my improvement request is still valid: we must have the same options whatever way we use to select a font, either from the Context toolbar or the Character panel.

5 hours ago, basilic said:

However the Paragraph panel doesn't offer the font choices.

My mistake. I use them in the Text Styles panels where they are available in the Font section of all three types of Styles.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I wonder if this would create issues for people who do not use FontBook. There are many other Font Management options out there and the built in Mac one is not all that great. Most people we deal with Suitcase or Font Explorer Pro. Might not create any problems other then having something there that many people would simply ignore as it would be useless to them. Not sure I would want all my customized collections listed as I generally know what fonts I want to use on a new job and am not spending a great deal of time sorting through them in Indesign. 

As mentioned by Old Bruce, the point is that the macOS built-in Font Book Collections are already available in the Character panel (however not shown in the Context toolbar - reason of this post). Having them listed in the Context toolbar via a click-on-an-icon as "Collection" like "All, Recent, Used, Favourites" would not cause any trouble I think. Because we can find font collections in the Character panel, I think it worth having them also listed in the Context toolbar. UI logic, no?

Do you mean then that your Suitcase/Font Explorer Pro collections are not visible in the Character panel? 

21 hours ago, basilic said:

Do you mean then that your Suitcase/Font Explorer Pro collections are not visible in the Character panel? 

Any font activated with Suitcase/Font Explorer Pro are seen in any and every app on Mac OS. You can have sets, similar to iTunes playlists, of fonts. I would not see these sets in any application, just the activated fonts. I do not spend a whole lot of time in any application selecting my fonts as I mentioned before. I either have standard fonts I always use or have selected them before hand. They sometimes change but again I am not doing that in Indesign or Publisher as it is much faster and easier to search for fonts in my own collection or using Adobe Fonts from the cloud.