You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scripting

It would be really useful to have automator support or some sort of scripting to do things like export layers etc etc.

If it is not automator, it could be a simple scripting language (like GIMP has Scheme scripting).

• 3 weeks later...

One perfect example of a designer tool integrated with scripting is Autodesk Maya. Every operation you do will be echoed in the scripting panel .

Let say you draw a triangle in Affinity Designer and a scripting panel could show something like :

makePolygon([ {23,45.9}, {53, 89}, {13.3, 39} ], fill:"lightgrey", opacity:1, stroke:{size:1, color:blue});

Which means that every user sees how object are created and they could script that immediately as Maya does with Mel scripting or/and Python.

Then entire Affinity Designer scenes cold be built from terminal.

> affiniydesigner -run "./myScript.js" 

I know that I might be dreaming ( :)  ) since this approach need to be architected before the application is designed and built. But maybe the authors cold keep that in minds.

Such functionality would push the popularity of Affinity Designer way above any other competitors. Today exposed API are becoming an expectation and a necessity.

I don't want to second-guess what the developers are planning to do in this regard.

I would completely understand if they decided that this is a non starter for applications costing less than £40.

On the other hand, I for one, want to use the suite as a complete replacement of Adobe products, but without it it'll be very difficult.

I would be prepared to pay 3 times as much for the Affinity Applications that have these facilities.

Best regards,

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Not being a programmer, I'd like to see scripting like Adobe's "Actions". Some kind of record, stop, play/apply to another file/collection of files. Perhaps this is an extension of the batch processing roadmap?

Perhaps scripting could be part of a unique "Extended" version – if you don't need it, it's worthless, and if you do need it, it's priceless and worth triple the price as Seneca said.

Better yet, maybe scripting and batch processing could be a stand-alone application that leverages both AD & AP's features – a bit like Adobe's Media Encoder or a 3D render farm application. This way, it won't bloat the existing software and we won't feel abused because we've been pushed into an unnecessarily expensive version of AD or AP.

I'd recommend going for the native scripting framework in OS X and not for a custom solution.

Especially now that it is no longer limited to AppleScript: JavaScript is also supported, so it's very flexible and familiar to a lot of developers.

• 1 year later...

Automator is too limited. It only allows for (glorified) macros.

We need a true scripting language (javascrip, python, applescript, etc) to allow the creation of new commands and tools.

Personally, I would prefer python or javascript :)

I agree, Python or Javascript, or Python AND Javascript. :wub: :)