You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

issue with Patch Tool

p_mac

13 hours ago, p_mac said:

I didn’t check what mode I was in.  Will do that

The image is RGBA (32)HDR. I’m not having this problem with other images that are RGB (32) HDR

is there a problem with the 4 channels. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey p_mac,

The tool is designed to work with a source patch which has a similar boundary to the destination patch. If you choose a source which is completely different to the destination, you will get these weird colours as the algorithm tries to blend in the incompatible patch.

In your video, you're selection includes the greens from the plant and the white/greys from the stones. If you use the Patch Tool on say a mole on some skin, it should work perfectly. 

Thanks Chris B for the answer. Didn't notice it and was not aware of the criteria with regard to this tool.  
Now I have a question, if ones wants to patch an area that is outside these guidelines, is there a way to do that?

example: if there is an area that has been cut out (now transparent) can a part of the image be placed there with the patch tool?

• Staff

Hey p_mac,

Have you tried making a selection around the area you want to patch and then use Edit > Inpaint? I find this works better for bigger areas as opposed to just using the Inpainting Brush.

I'm not sure how well that would work on the example in your video. Or I might have completely misunderstood your question 😅