You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapshot Function is Broken (Photo 1.8.3)

I just discovered that the Snapshot functionality is broken in Photo 1.8.3.

One can take progressive snapshots of one's work using the Snapshot Panel, but one cannot restore to previous states using the Restore button in the Snapshots Panel.

Interestingly, if one invokes the Edit in Designer command, one can use the Snapshot Panel in Designer to restore an earlier snapshot.

Please fix. Thank you.

It works on Windows (though, zoom level doesn't seem to be restored properly).

I also see that I need to click on the name of the snapshot, not on the snapshot icon, before the Restore and Delete Snapshot functions are available. But that might be standard, not somethig new.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It works on Windows

I sometimes wonder whether all the broken features (e.g., this Snapshot function, the Zoom tool and contextual bar Zoom controls, etc.) are an unavoidable by-product of trying to develop an integrated suite of applications, further complicated by attempting to make them run on three very different OS's (Mac OS, Windows, iOS). 

How is it that the code for long established features, basic features even, get broken with every point upgrade? Not being an app developer myself, I can't imagine.

Frustrating for everyone involved. I'm sure the Serif staff would rather focus on getting to parity with, or surpassing, the Adobe products rather than getting hung up on fixing all these broken features and then testing on three different platforms.

Very generally speaking, the way to write software than runs on several OS's is to separate the device independent logic from the device dependent operations and, for the latter to create device-dependent services (subprograms) for each OS that are invoked from the device independent logic in a device-agnostic way.  This is likely less the problem than testing changes to those services to ensure that everything that invokes them still runs properly.  Many so-called regression tests can be automated -- indeed, good software is designed from the very beginning to be "testable" --, but those that cannot can be very time consuming to test, and are susceptible to tester inattention/fatigue.  Remember, too, that many services invoked by the software's are supplied by the purveyor of the OS, and some of them tend to make changes to their OS even after the final release candidate of a new version has been sent to developers.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

On 4/5/2020 at 7:09 AM, Richard Liu said:

Very generally speaking, the way to write software than runs on several OS's is to separate the device independent logic from the device dependent operations and, for the latter to create device-dependent services (subprograms) for each OS that are invoked from the device independent logic in a device-agnostic way.  This is likely less the problem than testing changes to those services to ensure that everything that invokes them still runs properly.  Many so-called regression tests can be automated -- indeed, good software is designed from the very beginning to be "testable" --, but those that cannot can be very time consuming to test, and are susceptible to tester inattention/fatigue.  Remember, too, that many services invoked by the software's are supplied by the purveyor of the OS, and some of them tend to make changes to their OS even after the final release candidate of a new version has been sent to developers.

My take is that quite a few of the problems originate from Apple making gratuitous changes to MacOS in their never ending quest to turn my MacBook Pro into a poor imitation of a cell phone. 

12 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

However, I'm running High Sierra

Hi Mark, I am running Sierra and this is working fine for me in 1.8.3, I did notice that it was a bit reluctant to restore when I first updated, a few more clicks and it worked fine and has done since then. The create new document from snapshot is also working well.