You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Print Dialog: help needed or bug?

2:3

Hello I have some problems printing with Affinity Publisher.
I come from Indesign and am working with Affinity Publisher Version 1.8.2 on MacOS Mojave, printer is a large format Epson Styles Pro 9900

In Print Dialog / Color Settings I choose a ColorSync profile
In the Print Dialog / Printer Settings I set the Media Type , the Ink type (matte black) and deselect Color Correction

Problem:  printer does not print because of wrong combination of media type/ink type/color profile.

So I created a preset from my settings and checked and there I see that media type (paper) changes automatically.
This results in the printer not printing, because matte ink for glossy paper or vv.

I tested with different different media types and profiles – but whatever media I choose in the Printer Settings – it is always changed when I check this (in the presets).

My question is:  
- my mistake? bug?
- why are there 3 identical buttons for selecting MediaType in the Printer Settings?

Does someone know this problem? Any advise and help is very welcome! 

I attach screenshots with the settings (in german):

Print Dialog 01.jpg

Print Dialog 02.jpg

Print Dialog 03.jpg

Preset Check 01.jpg

Preset Check 02.jpg

Edited by 2:3
translation

I updated to Version 1.8.3 - no change.

This is very annoying because it makes it impossible to print colors correctly.

Could someone please test this by setting media type and making a preset from this and then check?

And: does anyone know why there are there 3 identical buttons for selecting MediaType in the Printer Settings? And what is the difference between them?

thanks BofG,

I know the choice between "app manages colour" / "printer manages colour". - same in Indesign.

Sure it may only affect people people that need reliable colors and those working with large format printers. 

But there are no bigger things to worry because:

1.the printer will either not print at all, if the wrong ink type is chosen. Because Publisher changes the media type and so the printer will need matt black instead of photo black (or the other way round)

or 2. the printer will print but f.i. with matte black on glossy paper which ruins the prints. Or with very different paper setting, resulting in non usable colors.

This affects A. Photo as well. 

thanks. Yes, I can export the file and print a pdf or use other programs. I am rather disappointed by the support, as I have also eMailed them. But maybe I cannot explain it good enough for others to understand that this is not about a little too yellowish or so but printing is impossible. What I actually do now– because a deadline is approaching is: use Indesign 😞

@2:3, like many other Mac apps, the Mac Affinity ones rely on the print service built into the Mac OS for printing. Basically, this means when you start a print job in the Affinity app, it sends a request to the OS to look up the options supplied by the print driver & its supporting files. That info is sent back to the Affinity app, which then displays in the Print dialog whatever options the OS has told it that printer & its software combination can support. The way those options are broken up into different categories in the print dialog is determined by a combination of how the printer software categorizes them, how the print service can access them, & which options the app has been programmed to use.

So among other things, if there is anything wrong with the driver or any of its related software, or it is not up-to-date, printing may fail. Sometimes there is a simple fix for this but other times it may be necessary to reset the printing system.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, BofG said:

@R C-R I'm curious to know, if on MacOS the application has no influence on the print side of things how is the OP able to print from InDesign?

The app does influence which options are available, but not every Mac app uses the built-in print service or all of its features. In particular, Adobe sometimes has prefered to use a combination of its own printing routines & only some parts of the Mac OS print service.

I have not used any Adobe app other than Adobe DNG Converter for many years so I am not sure what it is like now but back in the day installing PS or PSE used to dump a lot of support files in obscure locations, many of them to support its print routines. Installing DNG Converter also adds a number of support files that no other app uses, but AFAIK none are related to printing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R I did now reset the print system, reinstalled profiles. No Change.

But could you please take a look at this procedure: make a print preset including Profile, Printer Options with Media type in A. Publisher and then look at it in A. Photo. On my Mac the identical preset strangely changed – see attached screenshot. (left is A. Photo, right is A. Publisher.) The difference is the media type and the matching ink type. This mistake is then send to the printer. (printer can't print with wrong combination of media and ink.)

2. Can you please tell me why are there 3 identical buttons for selecting MediaType in the Printer Settings? What is the difference?

Thanks for support!

Bildschirmfoto-2020-04-07-um-16.11.53.jpg

1 hour ago, 2:3 said:

Can you please tell me why are there 3 identical buttons for selecting MediaType in the Printer Settings? What is the difference?

I am not entirely sure what you mean by 3 identical buttons & my limited understanding of German technical terms makes it hard to interpret your screenshots correctly, but from what I can tell, the printer software is making some kind of distinction between Druckereinstellungen (Printer settings) & Druckeroptionen (printer options).

Your printer's user manual may include more info about that.

Affinity Photo