You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

That's the way the Crop Tool has worked since 1.7 (or maybe 1.8; I forget). You need to use Custom Ratio if you want to save a Preset.

I don't think this is viewed as a bug; just an area for improvement.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, wolfnowl said:

but the (perhaps unasked) question is then, how do you save a custom ratio?

• Choose Custom Ratio as the Mode.
  • Specify the ratio (width, height) in the two boxes to the right of the Mode choice.
  • Click the Cog, then click the burger menu (4 lines) on the pulldown, and choose Create Preset.

Note that you cannot create a duplicate, so if your ratio matches an existing one the Create Preset option will be grayed out. (And, for example, 16x9 and 9x16 are considered the same. And 32x18 is considered the same as 16x9.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt: Thanks for the response. I understood that I could create specific pixel or size dimensions and create a custom aspect ratio from that, but I wanted to be able to draw something out from the screen and create a preset from that.

Madpeaz: Thanks also for your response. For some reason I tried that yesterday and it didn't work, but it did today. Must have been a 1 or 0 in the wrong place.

Mike.

Thanks @walt.farrell for explaining how this works. It was far superior in APhoto 1.6. I did not even notice the vanishingly small "burger menu" in the upper right corner of the Cog menu dropdown  until you mentioned it and I went looking for it. Serif seems committed to making APhoto's UI ever more unreadable. Perhaps youngsters with fighter pilot vision can make out the full 4 bars. The Help system mentions the Presets Manager but doesn't mention the tiny "burger menu" that opens it. Presets Manager is not found by the search function in Help.

The Custom Ratio setting is very odd, at least when compared to the more sensible way this worked in APhoto Ver 1.6. Previous discussions of crop ratios in these forums emphasized that crop ratios are dimensionless. That is why the Units box is grayed out on the context toolbar and why the numbers defining the ratio were unitless. But now when you enter a number in the boxes to define your ratio, APhoto adds the symbol px to each number, implying it is measuring in pixels rather than in unitless ratios. I'd call that a bug, but perhaps thinking has changed at Serif.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

47 minutes ago, Granddaddy said:

But now when you enter a number in the boxes to define your ratio, APhoto adds the symbol px to each number, implying it is measuring in pixels rather than in unitless ratios. I'd call that a bug, but perhaps thinking has changed at Serif.

I think that has been reported, and accepted, as a bug. It's certainly not the first time it's been mentioned.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think that has been reported, and accepted, as a bug. It's certainly not the first time it's been mentioned.

Then the bug was introduced in APhoto Ver 1.7 and still exists in Ver 1.8. It does not exist in Ver 1.6 (I have all three versions running on three different computers).

I have long wondered why the simplest bugs persist for so long without being fixed in APhoto, just as I have long wondered why such obvious bugs are not caught in beta testing. I rarely use cropping and even more rarely specify a custom ratio, but I noticed the units in the ratio box immediately.

Serif appears to lack a systematic beta program that ought to include detailed checklists of features and functions to be verified in every new beta version. Simply waiting for random users to report on the limited number of features they themselves use, or testing only new or revised features, is not really beta testing as I knew it years ago. Cropping preset functions were changed significantly in Ver 1.7 when compared to Ver 1.6, and even when that major change was made beta testing was insufficiently rigorous to catch this obvious, very simple bug.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Sorry , but the cropping -menue is a miracle I was not able to crack .

I managed to create some own crop-definitions -headlines-settings but I could not enter the the data  and futher more I cannot delete it anymore .

So consequently I crop my pictures with 'faststone' ( free ).

18 minutes ago, nschall said:

Sorry got some more cropping issues:

image.png.593cc03057f6b7a77160fed289c1c670.png

Once you're in Manage Presets,

image.png.8e9b26ebd959e2217a98a7efd1467dc3.png

That should help with some of your issues.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, nschall said:

I tried that but it is grayed out

For any of the ones that you marked as "want another caption" or "cannot delete" the Rename and Delete choices should not be grayed out.

If they are, that wasn't shown in your screenshots :)

-- Walt
PC:

Walt , I do not want to change  contents of the "AAA" collection but I want to change the name "AAA"  into something reconizable and for this I did not find a way.

Some of the others (collections) are 'leftovers' from other version and these 'containers ' are empty - so I wanted to delete the empty  collection.

40 minutes ago, nschall said:

, I do not want to change  contents of the "AAA" collection but I want to change the name "AAA"  into something reconizable and for this I did not find a way.

My second screenshot showed that. While in Manage Presets, the burger menu to the right of the category name offers "Rename Category" as one of your choices.

42 minutes ago, nschall said:

Some of the others (collections) are 'leftovers' from other version and these 'containers ' are empty - so I wanted to delete the empty  collection.

My second screenshot showed "Delete Category" as another choice.

Again, you need to get into Manage Presets before you'll have the next level of burger menus for the categories.

-- Walt
PC:

in 1.jpg I want to get rid of

"own", "3:2", "aaown" and "a4"  because theesen entries are empty -> i cannot delete it

in 2.jpg I want to change the name "AAA" to something else > no chance

I think I will delete the whole program and reinstall it and then make sure that I name the settings properly.

Thanks a lot for your patience ;-)

1.jpg

2.jpg

The dialog box does not seem to be wide enough to show the burger menu icon. You might want to switch your Photo UI to English, and see if that makes them visible. Looking at your screenshots, the icon should be about where I've marked it, if that left-hand panel were a bit wider. Perhaps the localization to German has messed up the width somehow:

image.png.327c58a92e270b4471cef5d6468994c8.png

Here's mine:

image.png.b09af97c3eff061de9243e4f2cf46e29.png

-- Walt
PC:

Walt, thank you very much for your help an patience ;-) 
I managed to get it where I want it. But while the results are as I expected the usage of "PX" and  "CM" etc. in a dimensionless ratio ist still a strange thing.
Anyway it works - thank to your help ;-)

Norbert

Photo_20200414_28.jpg

Photo_20200414_29.jpg