You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How To Update Safely Without Losing Imported Accessories

Newbie here, hie all!

Can someone please enlighten me on how I can safely update Designer/Photo/Publisher to a newer version without losing my imported brushes, custom assets etc. Each time there is a new update I always lose my brushes and I have to painstakingly install them one by one again. Is there a workaround to this?

P/S: Sorry if this has been asked before. I have dug through the forum and couldn`t find a similar thread

Annotation 2020-04-04 065758.png

Welcome to the forums.
Updating the applications should not wipe out any assets, brushes, settings or anything else.
What is the precise process you are following to update? (I’m assuming you’re on Windows, but say so if you’re not.)

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Updating the applications should not wipe out any assets, brushes, settings or anything else.

I believe there are some new brushes at the expense of older brushes. The latter group can be downloaded again, though, from the Serif website.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Thank you for your response.

I am using Affinity on Windows and I am sure it does wipe out all my imported brushes and styles too. This has happened to me for at least 3 times and I`m now hesitant to jump over to the newest version. I stand guided if I am not following the correct update procedure: When I launch my Affinity application I get a welcome notification that there is a new version and I am given 2 options, either click OK or click Download. I click on Download and run the newly downloaded setup file. Then when I open I am back to square one with the brushes and assets. I don`t really mind having to import them one by one again but I am wondering if I could somehow be saved from this process. Its painful.

5 minutes ago, Yadley said:

I don`t really mind having to import them one by one again but I am wondering if I could somehow be saved from this process. Its painful.

Here is a FAQ with a link

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The article is quite useful for restoring back to default settings, particularly when resetting any changes made to the Toolbar, Tools and Context Toolbar. Thank you for sharing. However, it does not say anything about backing up or about restoring backups. Upon investigation I notice there is a default Backup folder that Affinity creates in my normal user directory. But there is no documentation on how to make the actual backups or how to put that backup folder to use.

Annotation 2020-04-04 220154.png