You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher Free for one month

Eddie Aguirre

I really don't understand Affinity in this matter.....

When InDesign was released, Adobe ensured that users of QuarkXpress (the market leader at the time) could switch seamlessly.
After all, InDesign could simply open QuarkXpress files.
It is therefore a mystery to me that Affinity does not pay attention to this.

----------

I have been using Adobe software (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) for more than 25 years.
I currently have a Creative Cloud All Apps agreement.

This means that I have literally thousands of files on my computer.
For InDesign these are all stored in the "indd" format. So not idml.....

Converting all my files to "idml" is impossible.

I think many people are in my situation.

----------

Using software from a third party (MarkZware) is not the right solution.

Affinity should address the solution by themself.

1 hour ago, Henri H said:

Converting all my files to "idml" is impossible.

Converting all your indd files is possible
You only have to do it.
It's really that simple.™

Since ID is scriptable, you can automate it. I'm pretty sure someone somewhere on Teh World Wide interWebs® has already written such scripts. :) 

(For the record, this is something I actually plan to do as well. Until now I've been only sporadically converting INDD files to IDML when I happened to stumble upon something that I had to look up using ID CS5 anyway. Same for converting my even older PageMaker, XPress and Freehand docs. My archives go as far back as the early 1990s…)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

6 minutes ago, loukash said:

Since ID is scriptable, you can automate it. I'm pretty sure someone somewhere on Teh World Wide interWebs® has already written such scripts. :) 

(For the record, this is something I actually plan to do as well. Until now I've been only sporadically converting INDD files to IDML when I happened to stumble upon something that I had to look up using ID CS5 anyway. Same for converting my even older PageMaker, XPress and Freehand docs. My archives go as far back as the early 1990s…)

Can you give me a link for automated solution ?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Henri H said:

Can you give me a link for automated solution ?

1. open your favorite search engine page in your favorite browser
  2. type "script to convert indd to idml"
  3. browse the results

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just now, Return said:

PDF is not being asked for here. @Henri H has obviously Adobe CC installed at the moment, and they want to batch convert INDD to IDML natively.

PDF is not the subject of this thread. 
IDML is.

~~~

For the record, this script works smoothly in InDesign CS5.5:
creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/batch_convert.html
I have just batch converted a whole client folder from INDD to IDML within a few seconds.
They all open in APu 2 just fine, albeit – as expected – with minor typography glitches likely caused by my usage of certain advanced Adobe features not directly translatable by the Affinity typography engine.

49 minutes ago, Return said:

Well then it should be asked in an adobe forum as these are adobe formats and have nothing to do with the affinities although it can be imported.

What are you talking about here?
The point of this thread was how to convert INDD files to IDML so that they can be natively edited in Publisher
Since the initial free offer for the IDMarkz converter has expired in the meantime, discussing other solutions is just as valid. (Albeit admittedly slight off topic in this context nonetheless. But meh.)
So… those of us who still have access to InDesign will – of course! – want to use this native conversion method in the first place.

[Mod edit]

~~~

Speaking of IDMarkz, I actually just installed the free viewer (something I forgot to do after buying my new MacBook last year), and it works pretty well as such.
Many thanks for that, Markzware! :) 

• Staff
41 minutes ago, Return said:

Well then it should be asked in an adobe forum as these are adobe formats and have nothing to do with the affinities although it can be imported.

We do typically ask for questions not relating to the Affinity apps to be posted elsewhere online - however this topic is at the very least tangentially related to Affinity, as we can only import .IDML files - and therefore many InDesign users search the Affinity Forums for a reliable conversion method between .INDD and .IDML.

I personally do not have any issue with users sharing their methods for conversion here, provided the reason for a user asking this is to convert their files to be opened within Affinity.

As I have had to reiterate in multiple threads recently, it is not the job of our users to decide who can and can't post on the Affinity Forums, or to tell users not to ask questions here - so please do not do this.
This is solely for the Affinity Forum moderation team to decide, and certain discretions may be made by the moderation team.

We appreciate all our users participation here on the Affinity Forum - however this thread is not regarding PDF conversion and therefore it is a reasonable to point this out, as loukash has done above. This does not mean you are not welcome to suggest PDF as a potential alternative to IDML or conversion from INDD.

I have however edited the above post slightly to align this more with our expectations.

I'd recommend using the 'Ignore' function provided by the Forums, should you not wish to interact with certain members here.

____

We believe the forums can be a friendly and helpful place for Affinity users and we ask you all to play your part in keeping it this way.

Thanks for your understanding.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!