You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Indesign (indd and idml) Files in Publisher Free for one month

Eddie Aguirre

In these unique times, we want to help users transitioning to and from other DTP applications. We know that many designers are having to make budget cuts, and many are moving from Adobe to Affinity. We want to help you guys move your existing work to Publisher. So, we are giving away the full version of IDMarkz for usage through the end of May 2020. This is not the freebie version that locks out the IDML export; it's the full version with all features enabled. There are no charges or signups required to take advantage of this; it's how we feel we can help during these unprecedented times.

If you are already using the freebie version of IDMarkz you can use the following license details to activate the full version to be used through May 2020:

Email Addressdoingourpart@markzware.com

License IDbf2f3a43-8466-4861-b5e6-2e0e00e4ac83

If you don't have the freebie, you can get all the information you need to get started here. Please feel free to share this with your friends and colleagues.

We'll be monitoring how this pandemic affects those in our industry, and we may extend the free usage beyond May 2020.

Sorry Windows users, I can't give a timeline, but we are actively working on a Windows version.

28 minutes ago, Eddie Aguirre said:

In these unique times, we want to help users transitioning to and from other DTP applications. We know that many designers are having to make budget cuts, and many are moving from Adobe to Affinity. We want to help you guys move your existing work to Publisher. So, we are giving away the full version of IDMarkz for usage through the end of May 2020. This is not the freebie version that locks out the IDML export; it's the full version with all features enabled. There are no charges or signups required to take advantage of this; it's how we feel we can help during these unprecedented times.

If you are already using the freebie version of IDMarkz you can use the following license details to activate the full version to be used through May 2020:

If you don't have the freebie, you can get all the information you need to get started here. Please feel free to share this with your friends and colleagues.

We'll be monitoring how this pandemic affects those in our industry, and we may extend the free usage beyond May 2020.

Sorry Windows users, I can't give a timeline, but we are actively working on a Windows version.

Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, Eddie Aguirre said:

Thanks, indeed. This is a remarkable bit of marketing. Performing a public service while at the same time, perhaps, creating some mindshare that will sell the product in the future, past the Coronavirus scare. Kudos for thinking outside the box.

• Staff

@Eddie Aguirre

I have split your generous offer into its own thread (here in Resources)

I will post back into that 27 page thread too, and point them here, so that those users know about this offer.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Eddie Aguirre said:

Eddie, the software is amazing!!!  It converts directly to Affinity Publisher!  Amazing!!!!  Thank you!

On 4/3/2020 at 9:15 PM, Eddie Aguirre said:

¡Qué grandes sois!

• 2 weeks later...

Daaaarn, I got really excited there for a sec, thought that maybe it'd also open Illustrator files. The search continues...

Neat offer though, I will keep an eye out for InDesign stuff - just got Publisher, so haven't accumulated any resources yet.

@Eddie Aguirre Thank you so much!  Working — for the most part — like a charm!  I have discovered one little glitch.   I have books done in InDesign that require specific lines of type on each page (to authentically replicate very old and rare books from the early 1800’s) when indexes were not generally included, but where modern historians may wish to quote from specific pages in the original volume.  I have now indexed the books.  In the process of creating an authentic replica, I have consistently needed to use a ragged right last line or special tracking settings to make a last paragraph fit on the page to match the original.  IDMarkz does an excellent job at keeping the ragged last lines, but does not seem to be able to translate line tracking from InDesign to Publisher.   Consequently when I have used special line tracking to make a last paragraph fit on one page in InDesign, I am now finding part of that last paragraph and a ragged right line showing up on the following page in Publisher.  This means that over the course of a 302 page book, the index becomes increasingly more incorrect as more and more of the content shifts farther to subsequent pages.   

Solution, of course, is to manually correct tracking on each Publisher page.  😳  Nevertheless, IDMarkz is really smooooooooth!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this generosity, really appreciated. 

Have you come across any situations where the IDML import into Publisher isn't showing any text in the frames? The 'find' command can find the text, so it is in the file somewhere, but is invisible and unselectable on the pages as far as I can make out!

No worries if you've not come across this - I'm sure I'll be able to find some way of getting at it!

** Solved it **

It turns out that for some reason there were text frames on the master page which were repelling text from the frames on the pages within the publication. Deleting the text frames on the master page resolved it all.

Thanks

Alex

15 hours ago, Alex White said:

Thank you so much for this generosity, really appreciated. 

Have you come across any situations where the IDML import into Publisher isn't showing any text in the frames? The 'find' command can find the text, so it is in the file somewhere, but is invisible and unselectable on the pages as far as I can make out!

No worries if you've not come across this - I'm sure I'll be able to find some way of getting at it!

** Solved it **

It turns out that for some reason there were text frames on the master page which were repelling text from the frames on the pages within the publication. Deleting the text frames on the master page resolved it all.

Thanks

Alex

Hey Alex,

I'm glad you found the issue. Would it be possible for you to send us your INDD file? I'd like to take a look at it and see if it's a problem with our conversion, the way that Publisher is handling the IDML, or just something with your particular file. If it's something with our conversion we'll fix it. If it's a problem with how Publisher is handling the IDML, we can pass the information along to Affinity. Or if it's just something odd with your particular file we can give more info. Both us, Markzware, and Affinity are constantly improving the conversion and importing of IDML so these odd issues are interesting to us when they arise. If you don't mind, you can upload the file through our support form, https://markzware.com/support/ticket/, and mention that Eddie asked you to upload the file.

9 hours ago, Alex White said:

Thanks, very happy to do so.

=> Ticket Number [51899]

Regards

Alex

Thanks Alex. We received your file this morning and I took a look at it. I see what your talking about. We have to update our conversion to handle some text wrapping settings in the master page that we hadn't run across before. I appreciate you sending us the file so we can improve our conversions. We should be able to get an update out early next week.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:46 PM, Eddie Aguirre said:

Thanks Alex. We received your file this morning and I took a look at it. I see what your talking about. We have to update our conversion to handle some text wrapping settings in the master page that we hadn't run across before. I appreciate you sending us the file so we can improve our conversions. We should be able to get an update out early next week.

Alex,

I just wanted to give you a quick update to let you know that we've released an update with the fix for your file. We also added some other features, made some improvements, and squashed some bugs. You can view the release notes for more information and download the update.

I've just tried that update and it has dramatically improved the import feature. I'm now trying it on a larger, more complex (210 page) document. Would you be interested in hearing if I have any oddities crop up in that transformation?

On 5/8/2020 at 3:54 AM, Alex White said:

I've just tried that update and it has dramatically improved the import feature. I'm now trying it on a larger, more complex (210 page) document. Would you be interested in hearing if I have any oddities crop up in that transformation?

Yes, of course. If there are any major issues, as there were with your previous file, please send a document in with some details of the problem. https://markzware.com/support/ticket/

On 5/11/2020 at 8:34 PM, Eddie Aguirre said:

Yes, of course. If there are any major issues, as there were with your previous file, please send a document in with some details of the problem.

Thanks - I've just uploaded a zip of the file which is having problems.

The source document has master pages with double page spreads (2 x 8.5"x11"), but the import process turns them into a single page {17" x 11") with both page frames on it. This makes the document unusable for me, as I can't seem to move from the single page back to spreads in Affinity Publisher. 

Ticket Number 51944

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have several old Indesign (Adobe) files.
I tried to open them but today Affinity Publisher does not allow it.
I found this thread, but I understand that it doesn't give Windows solutions.
Do I really have to buy Indesign back?
I don't use them for work, it would be an excessive cost for me.

Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Raff said:

I have several old Indesign (Adobe) files.

Please remember that Publisher will not open native inDesign files (.indd).

However, if you export your files as .idml files Publisher will attempt to open them.

If you don't have access to inDesign any more then your only option is to either use IDMarkz program that will open your inDesign files in Publisher or ask someone to save them as .idml for you. This program is not free though.

And yes, this forum deals with both Mac and Windows queries.

EDIT:

I hope you are also aware of the following conversation:

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 hours ago, Seneca said:

Please remember that Publisher will not open native inDesign files (.indd).

However, if you export your files as .idml files Publisher will attempt to open them.

If you don't have access to inDesign any more then your only option is to either use IDMarkz program that will open your inDesign files in Publisher or ask someone to save them as .idml for you. This program is not free though.

And yes, this forum deals with both Mac and Windows queries.

EDIT:

I hope you are also aware of the following conversation:

Thanks.

Yes, the forum is for windows too, but IDMarkZ no... 

Thanks for the quotes.
I think the fastest way is to download the Indesign trial version.

2 hours ago, Yadley said:

No joy for us Windows users

I'm not sure what you mean.

As @Raff said in his post above yours.

Just download Viva Designer. It works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Open your inDesign files and save them as .idml.

The open them in Publisher. Done.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

Viva Designer would work, but on some of my test documents it crashed and the ones which got exported where "distorted" that the content was scrambled around.
So if it would work it would be solution. For me it is not.

3 hours ago, rpnfan said:

So if it would work it would be solution. For me it is not.

The only "perfect" solution to convert from .indd to .idml is to use inDesign.

Any other solution will alway be second best.