You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character style not applied to capital letter when no ortographic correction selected

I was working on a bilingual book and when I copied the paragraph style with the capital letter to the secondary language, for which I haven't dowloaded the language and thus have selected no ortographic correction, the style for the capital letter wasn't applied. For it to appear I had to select one of the languages for which I have a dic file.

Expected behavior is to have the character style applied regardless of the language selected or the dictionary.

When you say that the "style for the capital letter" wasn't applied, @lmarcos, I'm not sure what you mean.

Can you provide a screenshot, or a sample document, to demonstrate?

Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sure. The only difference between the right and left paragraph styles is language. Right page is Spanish with ortographic correction set to Spanish. Left is Catalan with ortographic correction set to none. If you set ortographic correction to any language, the capital is shown as it should.

Even downloading the catalan ortographic dictionary, I need to set it to no correction because it's a dialect and many words are using the original (xixth century) ortography.

By the wya, I'm using 1.8.2 version. D

capital.afpub

Looking at your file, I was wondering if it was possible to add a Catalan dictionary. If it's called ca_ES APub reconize the dictionary.
You can add those file using Edit > Preferences > [Open]  and paste the following folder containing the Catalan dictionary.

dict_catalan2.zip

There's a variants called ca_ES-valencia. If those are the ones you need, only use this folder and rename it "ca_ES", since the app only reconise files named "xx_YY" to show them in the menu as "x_language (y_country)"

2020-04-08_202517.png.d63b3c6b346322a9572dbe1c32dad9fb.png2020-04-08_201235.png.2d3bef0cf562246ce34c9b3106df97d1.png

And last, be carefull, there's an extra space in the number of your parts before the I: I–
and, shoudln't you use curly quotes/apostrophes for the Catalan text? (I would use them in Occitan).

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Perhaps you can show us when the drop cap disappear, since it stays whatever language I set the style to.

If you take a look at the afphoto file, the drop cap is different (I'm copying it below). You might need to reproduce with a font with salt applied, or download the pali font. I'm sorry it was not clear in the first email.

This is the picture in jpg.

language.thumb.jpg.23ef8238078ccf0a6bb4f617bd473034.jpg

26 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Looking at your file, I was wondering if it was possible to add a Catalan dictionary. If it's called ca_ES APub reconize the dictionary.

dict_catalan2.zip 1.24 MB · 0 downloads

This is majorcan, with all it's local difference and even the old wording, so I would get a lot of warnings in preflight with the modern catalan. ie, they use aumud instead of almud, ses illes instead of les illes and so on.

26 minutes ago, Wosven said:

And last, be carefull, there's an extra space in the number of your parts before the I: I–

and, shoudln't you use curly quotes/apostrophes for the Catalan text? (I would use them in Occitan).

dict_catalan.zip 905.21 kB · 0 downloads

I would say there's a missing space after the number. I might end copying the text as plain text and reapplying formatting because I'm having a lot of problems by pasting the tales one by one after I revise the Spanish version of the text. Regarding the apostrophe, that's how they sent it to me, I didn't thought about changing it until you mentioned.

Only thing I did regarding the original version was asking some other friends of mine whether in catalan they write dialogues and interrogations marks and such the same as in Spanish or as in French. For dialogues the answer was it's the same as in Spanish, but for interrogation marks is not that clear, one said only at the end, the other said it can be both ways.

Since Catalan and Occitan were once the same language, I would say only at the end, but looking at the site elPeriódico (where, like on the French one, half use good quotes and half the wrong ones!) they put one at the begining and one at the end: https://www.elperiodico.cat/ca/mundial-f1/20200408/quants-espanyols-han-aconseguit-un-podi-a-f-1-7919002

For youyr problem, it seems the character style "Versales" modifies nothing visible, perhaps because "Max word count" is set to "[No change]", even when trying to input 3. Using the value "3" and another character style work fine.

The drop cap isn't set with a character style to apply the different font.

Here a modified file where I used different character styles so you can test it (I added colours so it would be more visible).

capital2.afpub

Versales style is applied correctly to initial words in my document, @Wosven, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

Regarding drop capitals, if you switch that character style to bold or italic, then bolds or italics are correctly applied regardless. Same happens with color: the color from the initial words style is applied.

But when I open your file it doesn't keep line height. If you switch to no changes or any language, it's ok; if you switch to no language, then it changes.

So at least character alternative and line height are not correctly applied. And the line height issue isn't something that appeared in the document originally created with 1.7.2. (back then it wasn't even possible to use initial words and drop cap at the same time, so this is an advance) and saved in 1.8.2. In a new document with 1.8.3 the line height problem appears when you apply at the same time inital words with small caps and no language.

Let's see if the following steps to reproduce issues work for you on a vanilla document, @Gabe and @Wosven

• Open a new document.
  • Create a character style with small caps.
  • Create a paragraph style with initial words using the small caps style you created before and use drop cap as well.
  • Add some text, apply paragraph style and see if the drop cap changes it's height when you switch language -> correction from default to none on character menu in the paragraph style.
  • Create a character style with tipography alternate set to 1 (i.e. Pali )
  • Create a paragraph style with drop cap using the previous style.
  • Add some text, apply paragraph style and see if the drop cap changes its appearance when you switch language -> correction from default to none on character menu in the paragraph style.

I know most people won't work with no language correction in their life, but there are instances in which you want to keep the original text as is. I.e. old texts or dialects with lots of localisms in which you don't want to create an additional dictionary.

I think I've found other bugs (like the Pali font not being installed on my system but APub thinks it is, and showing Times NR in the paragraph style as if it was set to this font, when the sumary at the bottom dislay font:Pali).

But when using your older document, or a new one, with or without Pali font installed (nice one, thanks for the link!), with the option Align to grid or not, modifying the language in the paragraph style, from None to No change or any other one, nothing happens.

It only change if I set all to auto and modify the spelling to None. It seems it needs a Typography script different than "auto" or "none" (I suspect if Spelling is set to None, there's no Typography script, and then it doesn't use the alternate option? Because this doesn't happen when you don't use Alternate*).

* Those tests were done selecting the all the paragraph and modifying options in the Character panel.

[edit]

Doing the same modifying the Paragraph style give the same result: it's dependent of the Typography script option.
Setting it to Latin or No change depending of the base style can correct the problem.
Auto and default prevent the use of the Alternate option.

[/edit]

16 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Pali font installed (nice one, thanks for the link!)

Glad you like it, there are not that many free for commercial use fonts with ornamentals and petite capitals, so I'm always on the look to see if I can find one than can replace the whole bunch I use now.