You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings!

I've been using Capture One 8 Pro for my image development for quite some time now, and I've added Affinity Photo to my workflow since the first beta, I have been using it incrementally since the release.

One thing that puzzles me is the difference between AP and CO treatment of the white balance information contained in Tiff files.

In this example I've done the development in CO, exported the file as tiff with all adjustments, when the file is opened in AP the white balance is orange... if I then save that file, the white balance is updated and the orange toning is reproduces in CO where I need to adjust back to the desired range.

Attached is an example of the experience.

Is there a way I can assure that settings are constant from one software tot he other?

a switch, a file format?

Can AP read CO's raw settings adjustment files? that would avoid the need to export to Tiff.

Best regards.

Sandro.

post-15407-0-57831300-1437580651_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

With a little bit more exploring, it's the way AP displays the image that differs from C1

when I save the file after applying adjustments, it looks ok in C1 except if i make color adjustments

then the file is completely unbalances, Obviously because AP displays it differently.

any clues ?

Rebel Hornet I don't have the expertise to provide an answer for you. I just wanted to say it is unusual to go so long with out a response from the devs. I hope someone will answer your inquiry soon. Keep in mind many of them are located in New Zealand, I believe, so there may be some time delay on a weekend. 

Alright with a little more investigation.

If i have the same tiff opened with AP on my primary monitor, and C1 on my secondary monitor, everything is perfect.

( primary.png and secondary.png )

But if i have AP on the same screen than C1 ( on the secondary monitor ) the colours in AP are way off...

( combined.png )

Could it be that AP ignores the color profile on the secondary screen ?

( both monitors are calibrated )

post-15407-0-14331000-1448252130_thumb.png

post-15407-0-71783100-1448252141_thumb.png

post-15407-0-12277000-1448252154_thumb.png

If i have the same tiff opened with AP on my primary monitor, and C1 on my secondary monitor, everything is perfect.

But if i have AP on the same screen than C1 ( on the secondary monitor ) the colours in AP are way off...

( combined.png )

What happens when you the file with Affinity Photo alone on each monitor in turn?

( combined.png )

So you're saying on one monitor all is fine and the other the color looks funky? And if you move ap between them you can observe this? Are they the same kind of monitor or different?

So you're saying on one monitor all is fine and the other the color looks funky? And if you move ap between them you can observe this? Are they the same kind of monitor or different?

Yup, if I drag from one monitor to the other, the color shift's in AP, as you can see from the posted images while they remain the same in C1.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
500 GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Built-in Retina Display
15.4-inch (2880 x 1800)

Dell 3008WFP Flat Panel Monitor 
30-inch (2560 x 1600)

Connected Thru Apple's thunderbolt to dual-DVI adaptor

i use a dual monitor setup myself and just checked if i see the same problem - no,   everything works as aspected.

so to try to help you i have some questions

1.what software do you use to calibrate the monitors ?

2. are the monitor profiles v2 or v4 versions ?

3. are the correct profiles loaded -sys pref. ? 

4. have you tried a pram reset ?

6. is the image in c1 the same tiff ?

7. are both monitors calibrated to the same settings - gamma / whitepoint

Im going to assume that the built in display is the one that looks correct right?

AP running on the built in display has less color shift than on the secondary monitor.

C1 is constant on both screens,

PixelMator is constant on both screens,

Hell... Apple Preview is constant.

See screen shot of secondary monitor.

Top Left: PixelMator

Top Right: Apple Preview

Bottom Left: Capture One Pro 8

Botom Right: Affinity Photo 1.3.5

post-15407-0-15249100-1448297427_thumb.png

i use a dual monitor setup myself and just checked if i see the same problem - no,   everything works as aspected.

so to try to help you i have some questions

1.what software do you use to calibrate the monitors ?

2. are the monitor profiles v2 or v4 versions ?

3. are the correct profiles loaded -sys pref. ? 

4. have you tried a pram reset ?

6. is the image in c1 the same tiff ?

7. are both monitors calibrated to the same settings - gamma / whitepoint

1: X-Rite Display pro's i1Profiler

2: 4.2.0

3: yes.

4: I reset my screen every time I calibrate it. i can't reset the laptop's screen.

5: yes they are all the same image.

7: Monitors are calibrated to their respective parameters.

The debate here is not that both screens need to have the same colours displayed, to be honest i could not care less for the integrated display.

I need AP to look the same as every other software on my 30" screen.

from you scrennshot i can see you export as sRGB but in ap it says adobe rgb - what color management settings do you use in AP ? 

My mistake for leaving that there... as you can also see the tiff check mark is not checked, I export to sRGB when I expert for web.

the tif files are exported to adobe color space.

from your screenshot i´m very convinced it is a kind of profile missmatch and not related to the monitor profiles or calibration although  some software has problems with version 4 icc profiles maybe ap too ?  x-rite ´s default is v4 in the latest version

from your screenshot i´m very convinced it is a kind of profile missmatch and not related to the monitor profiles or calibration although  some software has problems with version 4 icc profiles maybe ap too ?  x-rite ´s default is v4 in the latest version

I could try and calibrate with V2 and see what happens.

sorry,  one more idea - what happens when you move the finder menu bar from the main to the 2. display and restart ap  - when ap displays the image now correct than the answer is simple  ap is not able to handle 2 displays.  maybe i don´t see this effect because  i use 2 very similar hardware calibrated displays.

I mostly work on my 30" display, the laptop screen is used only to read emails and such.

so the app is always started on the secondary display.

you need to go to sys monitor settings and drag the menu bar (white strip)  from one display to the other than restart AP and see what happens if the problem is now reversed it is a clear indicator !

mo.tiff