You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line appears when two shapes overlapping

Hi,

I just bought Designer and I have a question.

I have two custom shapes, one above the other, fill and stroke. Stroke settings: "allign to inside"
When I zoom in, I can see a line appear (see example) This line disappears when I set my strokesettings to: "align to centre" but then, my sharp points are gone.
What setting am I missing to fix this?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Just now, Zebo said:

What setting am I missing to fix this?

Sorry, but it's not your fault and there are no such settings.  This is one of the things you just have to live with -- or choose another drawing program. After all these years it is quite clear that they will never fix it. The same can be said for many other bugs, unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, rubs said:

Sorry, but it's not your fault and there are no such settings.  This is one of the things you just have to live with -- or choose another drawing program. After all these years it is quite clear that they will never fix it. The same can be said for many other bugs, unfortunately.

Really? Oh, that's not very hopefull....I switch from Adobe to Affinity :(

• Staff

@Zebo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

It is just a screen drawing thing, the draw is anti-aliased to look smooth, but the gap does not exist when exported.

Also please do not post in the beta forum, which is meant for issues found using the beta.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Zebo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

It is just a screen drawing thing, the draw is anti-aliased to look smooth, but the gap does not exist when exported.

Also please do not post in the beta forum, which is meant for issues found using the beta.

I'm sorry, 1st time here, thank you.

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

I exported as png, still there

If you don't need a vector export, then use the Appearance panel to give the shape a centre-aligned Erase mode stroke underneath the inside-aligned black stroke. The Erase stroke will have the effect of shrinking the fill so that the edge of the fill does not coincide with the outside edge of the black stroke.

erase mode stroke.afdesign

1311716357_erasemodestrokescreenshot.thumb.png.26c85e62f338af222f85a1e06698f27b.png

I'm a beginner but have experience with Adobe Illustrator and find this very weird solution. Although it works and I thank you for this solution, this should not be necessary I guess.

Anyway; thank you for this.

1 minute ago, Zebo said:

I'm a beginner but have experience with Adobe Illustrator and find this very weird solution. Although it works and I thank you for this solution, this should not be necessary I guess.

Anyway; thank you for this.

You're welcome. I enjoy creating workarounds for things which are in need of improvement in Affinity apps.