You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.3 broke nicely working 1.8.2!!

Dear Serif,

We had major problems sometime ago with the 1.8.0 that were corrected with 1.8.2

Now, today, to my surprise, you had released a new 1.8.3 and again everything broke. I can not access files that *TONY* did earlier this week.
I can still access files that *I* did earlier this week. Both me and Tony were using 1.8.2 and since Publisher found that 1.8.3 exist, it immediately crashes if I try to use any files Tony has done. Those same files worked a few days back nicely. We work with commonly shared Dropbox folder. Tony can still access the very same files that caused crash on my computer.

I tried updating to 1.8.3. 
No luck. It still crashes. And no crash dumps (just like with 1.8.2). I can do new files and I can access files I have done and updated. But nothing that we have shared between me and Tony.

I have a few pointers:

• Every file that I still can open (all done by me AND last accessed by me) have lost *EVERY SINGLE* linked file. Every single. Okay, that is possible to fix, but annoying and alarming.
  • We use same file structure, me and Tony, both updated to 1.82.620 at the same time and both have same Windows 10 version
  • On every occasion these problems have started exactly when new Publisher is found in the system. I'd dearly like to have feature of NOT updating or checking updates automatically as it does something to the files and causes these problems.

As we have recently bought more licenses of Publisher and all are forced to do remote work, this is pretty much as bad situation as you can produce. We were trying to catch the gap that 1.8.0 ->1.8.2 hold up caused when this happened. Why, oh-why, did you do this again. I really like your software - but I really, really dislike your update system. PLEASE disable the forced 'lets check if there would be something new' as it clearly makes life miserable.

And just to clarify. Yes, I use latest Windows 10 (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.752]) with latest security and what not updates. Just checked and rebooted Windows to confirm that it is not the issue. Publisher version is 1.8.3.641. Reboot did not change anything on how Publisher crashes. 

The computer is rather powerful so it cannot be lack of resources. 1.8.2 worked very well until today (used it last time Wednesday, almost whole day then).

I have now tried several files, but in fear of similar corruption as with 1.7.3 -> 1.8.0 I can not try every file. It would be total disaster if Tony's access would also end for these files.
I'm officially very worried of this situation. One time can be bad luck, but twice in a row indicates that there is something underneath that is systematically breaking things.

I don't think you said where you bought the apps, but I'll assume it was from the Microsoft Store because if you bought from the Affinity Store there is no automatic update process.

If I'm right that you bought from the Microsoft Store, then you open the Store app on your computer, open Settings (3 dots), and turn off automatic updating.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

new update 1.8.3 for both Publisher & designer have locked me out of both programs on my computer.  Publisher updated fine, but designer failed and shutdown my acces to both programs stating I may not have appropriate access.  How do I access the programs I paid for?  All work I have done is not accessible until this gets fixed!

4 minutes ago, Slaymorden said:

new update 1.8.3 for both Publisher & designer have locked me out of both programs on my computer.  Publisher updated fine, but designer failed and shutdown my acces to both programs stating I may not have appropriate access.  How do I access the programs I paid for?  All work I have done is not accessible until this gets fixed!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I've not heard of that problem (message) before. Did you purchase them from the Serif Affinity Store or the Microsoft Store?

Can you provide a screenshot so we see the exact message?

If you purchased from Serif, and the Designer update gave you the Setup Failed message, perhaps the suggestions in this FAQ will help: https://affin.co/WinSetupFailed
(If you purchased from Microsoft I'm not sure if that FAQ entry is relevant.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt, I bought directly from Affinity. And no, I did not claim that it does automatic UPDATE, but that it does automatic CHECK if there IS an update and that seems to be enough. If it FINDS an update, it breaks things. This happened with 1.8.0 and now again with 1.8.3

So, your experience, @multis, is that if you get the popup about an update being available, the program (Designer?) is then unusable, regardless of how you respond to the popup?

(Also, my request for a screenshot was in response to @Slaymorden, not you :) )

-- Walt
PC:

Yes. That is my experience. It has consistently happened so. 

The 1.8.2 was very stable and good until the moment when I started it and there was a new version. I tried by 'ok' (and not 'download') first and it caused only crashes as explained. After 10+ tries on varying means with 'ok' I downloaded the 1.8.3, installed that and rebooted Windows for good measure. Tried the same files with same outcome: Crash on every single occasion. Tony tried the same files (that he had created/updated) and unlike with 1.7.3 -> 1.8.0 problem, this time the update does not render files unusable to everyone else. 

However, in my case I have now 1.8.3 that I can not use for anything as virtually all files I'd need to work are used at a point or other by Tony and thus do not work for me any longer,  I decided to try if this is reproducable. I removed Publisher 1.8.3 and reinstalled 1.8.2 (luckily the 1.8.2 exe was still available locally). It immediately notifies that there is new version. On first time loading a file that used to work an immediate crash (again, no error messages or crash dumps). So at least *I* can reproduce this behaviour at will.
I then removed Publisher again, disconnected network (by physically removing LAN cable), reinstalled 1.8.2 and while having no network AGAIN opened the files,  and *ALL* of the files work flawlessly. I reconnected the LAN cable and downloaded the first file: IMMEDIATE CRASH with not even the 'hey 1.8.3 exists'

So I have to conclude beyond any doubt: Yes. The 'check if there is new version' is faulty and causes this problem. If my 1.8.2 does not *KNOW* that 1.8.3 exists, it works like a charm.

There is a registry setting that you can set which stops the program checking for updates.

Never needed it myself but it may work for you

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Carl, if you happen to know what that registry setting is and how that should be changed so it never does check updates, I'd love to know. That would allow me to install 1.8.2 again and continue using it. 

I can easily live with no automatic upgrade ever. I will upgrade Publisher manually by downloading version ONLY when I really need an update. I believe our whole team would prefer to turn the automatic thing of to avoid this kind of annoyances.

As I suppose the "check for new version" only happens immediately upon opening Publisher, I would disable internet access just while Publisher is launched. Then enable internet access again.

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Try here, change the path specified to the correct one for Publisher (not Photo)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, NilsFinken said:

As I suppose the "check for new version" only happens immediately upon opening Publisher, I would disable internet access just while Publisher is launched. Then enable internet access again.

Nope. As reported, tried that and at the moment when LAN is connected it automatically tries to connect (without any prompt) and crashes on next load of file.

Okay, tried the regedit trick. Nope. It does not work. I can access a few of the files, but majority (anything Tony have edited since 1.8.3 was introduced) still crashes my Publisher.

So, no easy solution. This is really crappy situation. It means again major delays in our production queue. We really didn't need this.
I hope Serif provides a good reason why 1.8.3 was introduced to break the perfectly working 1.8.2

😭

Just now, multis said:

Okay, tried the regedit trick. Nope. It does not work.

Did it suppress the update available message?

It does suppress the question. But it does not prevent what ever connectivity with LAN does with 1.8.2. So it probably does still some background check of something even if it does not show anything to user, as if you have LAN disconnected 1.8.2 works with most files. Like I mentioned, something changed when 1.8.3 was introduced. Files that Tony modified with 1.8.2 AFTER 1.8.3 was introduced are not working (causing crash), but with 1.8.2 and the 'reg edit fix' I can at least access my own files or older files by Tony. 

No, this is not good. Not good at all.  

Just now, multis said:

And I have to also remind that another anomaly here is  that several files are complaining now of "missing linked files". But only files that I did save after 1.8.3 was introduced. 

For the "missing linked files", what does the Resource Manager show for those files? Have you verified that the exact path shown for the file in the Resource Manager dialog still exists?

For example, if I put one of my Dropbox files into a Publisher document as a Linked file, then I look in the Resource Manager, I see this:
image.png.8b80b65edb8daed552d7798b9cd94179.png

Note the path name on the bottom of that image. Can we see a similar screenshot showing one of your missing files?

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks.

I suspect that what is happening is that the actual path to the files is changing, which is why they appear missing. Working with files on a network has a number of issues for the user to overcome.

-- Walt
PC:

20 hours ago, Slaymorden said:

I have the same problem. Opened up Publisher to do something. It said, hey, get 1.8.3! I said, OKAY! But it failed at the end of the install. So I went back to my account at Affinity (Which is where I purchased from) and downloaded again. Same issue. Thought, okay, let me open the one already on my computer. Nope. Not happening. It says same as above...I may not have appropriate access.  Please help us get this fixed!

3 minutes ago, Susan G. said:

I have the same problem. Opened up Publisher to do something. It said, hey, get 1.8.3! I said, OKAY! But it failed at the end of the install. So I went back to my account at Affinity (Which is where I purchased from) and downloaded again. Same issue. Thought, okay, let me open the one already on my computer. Nope. Not happening. It says same as above...I may not have appropriate access.  Please help us get this fixed!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Susan.

Please try the steps suggested in https://affin.co/WinSetupFailed which will (I hope) get you going.

-- Walt
PC:

I noticed a massive jump in Publisher's memory usage from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3.  A file that I work on nearly every day using 1.8.2 only used a few hundred MB when opened in Publisher.  When I loaded the same file with 1.8.3 memory went to over 5,900 MB. 

This is similar memory usage I saw using my older powerful Windows 7 computer with 16 GB RAM.  When I upgraded to a new more powerful Windows 10 computer with 16 GB RAM using 1.8.2,  memory usage dramatically dropped to the few hundred MB.  I was super stoked that I could keep growing my documents without any apparent restrictions.

The file has now been loaded for about 30 minutes and the memory usage just dropped to 155 MB.  Stoked. 

Just did a simple cut and paste of a text box and memory use jumped back to 5,900 MB.  Not stoked.

Thinking this memory issue might cause problems for some folks.

4/6/20 update: 

I leave this document open since I work on it every day.  This morning Publisher was only using 13 MB RAM.  Currently, as I work on the file and save the file, which contains several art boards, RAM usage appears to have stabilized to around 650 MB.  This is excellent and consistent with what I saw using 1.8.3.  When I work on the file,  CPU usage spikes up to around 30% and then drops back to around 0% when I stop working on it.