You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple flat colour painting

I am trying to make AP my sole image editing tool, but yet again I am failing to achieve something that Paintshop Pro 9 (yes it still works in Windows 10) does natively.

All I want to do is a "painting-by-numbers" style fill with a completely flat brush, under a scanned ink drawing - with no buildup from stroke to stroke; just set a target colour and go.

Is that called a 'wash'?

How do I achieve this with AP? Despite its myriad of brush adjustments, I can't find a single one of them that suppresses the colour buildup.

There is discussion about something like this problem in another thread, but it gets into all manner of esoteric settings, comparisons with Photoshop and suggestions of yet more third party apps, none of which helps me achieve this simple task in AP.

So am I just using the wrong painting tool, or am I failing to understand something fundamental in the AP approach?

It's quite possible I have missed something in the help file and/or tutorial videos, and if I have, please forgive me and point me to the relevant reference!

Cheers,

Alan

I will set my brush to these settings for solid non transparent colours.

1951489535_ScreenShot2020-04-03at6_54_13AM.png.9b72dc97cc72afa5915fc960b8626b80.png The top line is from the Context Toolbar. Turn it on by going to the menu View > Show Context Toolbar.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, AlanH said:

Despite its myriad of brush adjustments, I can't find a single one of them that suppresses the colour buildup.

The color buildup can be an effect of either:

1. Having an Opacity < 100%; or
  2. Having a Flow < 100%; or
  3. Having the Wet Edges option turned on.

All are controllable via the Context Toolbar while the Brush Tool is in use.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Many thanks to all who have responded so quickly (maybe we're all spending more time in front of our computers at the moment!)

GarryP - thanks - I'm familiar with flood fill, but in this case, I'm doing a freehand layer below the black artwork. (Cool graphic!)

Old Bruce - thanks - that was what I had set and it still wasn't working for me...

Walt - thanks - that sorted it! I guess I didn't understand what 'wet edges' meant in AP.

So:

• With wet edges ON, then each new stroke starts off at ~25% opacity and subsequent overlapping ones add another 25%, until it reaches full target colour. 
  • With wet edges OFF, it just paints solid colour at the target level, as you describe - and as I was looking for.

I have seen 'wet edges' in other painting apps, but it behaved much differently there, i.e. like a dynamic watercolour bleed, which made more sense to me descriptively.

It looks like I had fallen foul of nomenclature - always a problem when switching from one maker's app to another.

Hooray - problem solved - thanks once again, all!

Alan

10 minutes ago, AlanH said:

It looks like I had fallen foul of nomenclature

At times I feel like I am learning a foreign language. "They use a different word for everything!"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.