PatrickM

Aphoto (+ AD + APub) - Exporting is not done correctly according to a color profile

I've just tested the new release (1.8.3). Until you address this issue of printer colour profiles, the entire Affinity Suite is not sufficient for the production and printing of documents in certain situations like mine. Even when the export is a priori done correctly (AD or APh), the profile settings are not taken into account (see overinking as an example below, should not be higher than 280%).
It's still a shame that this problem is not considered with more enthusiasm.

P.

Overinking.JPG

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (ver. 1909) - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

@PatrickM

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you, we are currently 200 tickets behind and yours seems to have been one of those.

Please can you share with us your file and your colour profile, and the export procedure step by step (print to PDF driver or export or print direct) as we cannot tell from your description where this is going wrong, and would need a recipe to report this to the developers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

54 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@PatrickM

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you, we are currently 200 tickets behind and yours seems to have been one of those.

Please can you share with us your file and your colour profile, and the export procedure step by step (print to PDF driver or export or print direct) as we cannot tell from your description where this is going wrong, and would need a recipe to report this to the developers.

@Patrick Connor Thank you for your concern, but... it's way too late if you're referring to my APublisher files. I deleted them when I resumed an Adobe subscription to finish my work. Sorry to say that but I've explained it all here at length with not much help at that time.

Regarding my problem with managing a colour profile, I reported the problem over a year ago for APhoto and more recently for APub (2 months ago?). The problem is well known to you(Serif) & one of you told me that the problem is in the hands of the developers... who certainly have no interest in a problem that seems so minor to them!... but not to final users/customers. Too bad (as stated in my profile).

Cheers,

P.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (ver. 1909) - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

@PatrickM

Forgot to precise : and I sent you the colour profile twice.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Then why make the post in the bugs forum?

Simply because before posting, I thought that only APublisher couldn't manage the colour profile properly. The printer then informed me that the photographs themselves had not been exported with the settings of the profile in question. What I did test and reported here.
If you want to test the photo export, just take any "x.aphoto" file and use the profile I sent you... you don't need my photos.
Or you can also delete this thread if you wish to do so.

All 3 applications are the same code in different clothes. If one application exports incorrectly then there is a high chance that they all would, but you were not to know that.

Thanks for the recipe. I will have QA staff look at this again next week.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

Hi PatrickM,

I would also like to extend my apologies in getting back to you. As Patrick said, we have been incredibly busy for the past couple of months and with everyone having to work from home, it hasn't been easy.

I am going to be extremely blunt here but I believe it is in everyone's best interest to try and get this resolved. I am afraid I do not recall the colour profile issue. I may have spoken to you in the past or someone else may have. I had a look at the logged bugs with the phrase 'colour profile' and looked at the unresolved ones but none of them linked back to a post you have made (that I could see).

On 4/3/2020 at 2:37 PM, PatrickM said:

Until you address this issue of printer colour profiles, the entire Affinity Suite is not sufficient for the production and printing of documents in certain situations like mine.

Could you please explain your situation and process so I can get on the same page as you.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, PatrickM said:

Regarding my problem with managing a colour profile, I reported the problem over a year ago for APhoto and more recently for APub (2 months ago?)

If you are going to mention previous posts, please link to them. It is so unbelievably helpful when we can quickly find previous discussions and references—especially if they are cross different forums such as Photo and Publisher (I do not cover Publisher forums).

On 5/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, PatrickM said:

The problem is well known to you(Serif) & one of you told me that the problem is in the hands of the developers

If it was me that spoke to you about this, I'm afraid I do not recall our conversation (as I said above). This is why if you decide to make a new post, you should try and include as much info, files and links as possible. I still do not have in my possession this colour profile. I am not on my work machine but on my home machine so again, if I have discussed this with you in the past, I would not have the profile to hand. I am asking if you could kindly attach it again or link to a post where it is attached so we can chase this up.

The guide at the top of the bugs forum outlines how we would like our customers to report issues to us. I cannot stress how helpful a bug report presented to us in that format is. 

Please do not be discouraged from posting in the future or reaching out to us. Your presence on the forum is appreciated and your experience and knowledge is very clear, as can be seen by your reputation to posts ratio.

@Chris B There's no need to apologize. You tested the colour profile at the time, got the same problems I had and passed it on to the developers. This profile was only part of the problem, the others being APub's instability, its systematic crashes when modifying synchronized photos, the impossibility to keep the text in pure black (K=100%),...
I had deleted my posts thinking that this problem was not considered by Serif and that I won't come back to it in this forum. I don't think I have the courage to report everything again now that I've moved on. I can forward the printer's profile to you again if you wish. I'll do it in PM if that's possible.

Cheers,

Patrick

51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thank you :) 

You are welcome. With respect to over-inking, I think I remember mentioning it in an earlier thread, but I deleted it all.
In this thread, the image in the first post shows this over-inking in InDesign of a photo exported from APhoto with the profile I sent you. The inking could not exceed 280% and all my photos were over-inked (> 300%). Hope it helps. If you already did the transformation of the .csf colour profile into .icc profiles (in order to use them with Affinity apps), you should have noticed that you have two profiles with an omega and another weird letter.

Patrick

Thanks Chris.

We are at the same stage as before: the problem is in the hands of the developers... but let's hope it's solved this time 🙂 I think it's important for the end user to address this colour profile issue.

@Chris B Hi Chris,

I'm going to work on a new book and I think I can get over the very bad experience I had with APublisher and try a new layout with this app. However, I don't want to relive the same experience and waste weeks without being able to export a print-quality pdf file. So my question is whether I can be informed (if at all possible) about the possible resolution of the colour profile management issue... knowing that I will be using the same printer.

Thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Myself and some colleagues had a lengthy discussion about this yesterday.

I have a number of things to try that involve other apps. I will then be able to write a comprehensive report and make sure the developers have as much information as they need. I will need some time to do this so I will update you once I am satisfied with what I have found out.

Hopefully we can hit this one on the head at some point. 

I'll get back in touch soon :) 

26 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hopefully we can hit this one on the head at some point. 

I'll get back in touch soon :) 

It would be very very great 🙂. A big thank you in advance !

If the developers really wish to solve this out, I can do a recap of what I did and had as problems.

Cheers,

Patrick

Just now, PatrickM said:

If the developers really wish to solve this out, I can do a recap of what I did and had as problems.

Well what we discussed and I was going to ask for is your process. Just a simple numbered list of what you start off with and what you end up with. It doesn't have to be info overload. 

That will at least let me start off trying the process in Publisher or Photo and also InDesign. 

I did some research on CSF files and it is my understanding that these are primarily Adobe files, aren't they? You will have to forgive me as my knowledge probably at the same level as yours in this area so I'm learning as I go.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Well what we discussed and I was going to ask for is your process. Just a simple numbered list of what you start off with and what you end up with. It doesn't have to be info overload. 

That will at least let me start off trying the process in Publisher or Photo and also InDesign. 

I did some research on CSF files and it is my understanding that these are primarily Adobe files, aren't they? You will have to forgive me as my knowledge probably at the same level as yours in this area so I'm learning as I go.

@Chris B Chris,

Here is a beginning.

I certainly know much less than you in this field (I'm not a graphic designer).

1.      Since it was a book containing many photographs, I asked the printer how to best export the documents before importing them into any desktop publishing app. The printer provided me with a saved application colour settings ".csf" file indeed generated from Photoshop. The printer only works with users of Adobe (or QuarkXPRess) products (they have never heard of Serif/Affinity apps).

2.      Affinity apps can't handle such files (too bad, the problem would be solved eventually). It is thus necessary to create a cmyk ".icc" colour profile so that it is "readable" by APhoto/AD/APublisher.

3.      To load a .csf file:  (1) copy the “.csf” file to the desktop (or wherever you want), (2) open PS, (3) go to " Edit " --> " Color" and (4) click on “Download” and select the .csf (V… 280% GCR 3.csf) file which is on the desktop.

4.      Open the drop-down menu of "CMYK" and click on "Save as CMYK...", a new ICC profile will be created and saved in the ad hoc directory.

5.      The problems start with Affinity apps because they don't accept a profile name with an accented letter. In the menu of APhoto/AD/APub, you can find two profile names with an Omega letter and [?] instead of the accented letter (with Adobe software, there is only the right profile of course).

6.      No export has been done correctly and I wonder if one of them allows any export at all.

Well, I have to stop for now but I’ll try to recall what I have tried… I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out.

C1.JPG

C2.JPG

C3.JPG

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

That is absolutely spot on—thank you Patrick. 

Thanks Chris. I did test the over-inking in InDesign (see post 1) because that was the easiest thing for me. I don't known whether this is possible in Affinity apps now ?

Cheers, Patrick

It isn't possible in Affinity yet. We simply are not a fully fledged printing application in this respect at the moment but we should be respecting ink level limits!

One last thing, what PDF export settings do are you using for the final export?

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

It isn't possible in Affinity yet. We simply are not a fully fledged printing application in this respect at the moment but we should be respecting ink level limits!

I did answer you but I certainly forgot to save... I think I've tested all export methods for printing without success. Even when the pdf file looked good on the screen, it didn't pass the printer's control tests.
I had also tried another cmyk format (Fogra-like) by starting the document again and then assigning their profile, again without success. Of course, I didn't test anything anymore in the latest versions of APub.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

I don't remember when it was posted but I think I saw on this forum other problems with overinking photos (or vectors?). It could be related even if I had other problems than this one.

Thanks Patrick. The printer that you use, do they provide an online service so that we could try it ourselves? Do you submit/upload work to them and they print the job and send it back?