You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open an image in Photo from Designer

• Staff

Hi cje,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can send the whole Designer document (not single images) to Affinity Photo going to menu File > Edit in Photo then switch back again to Designer using the same process or for simple edits just use the Pixel Persona in Affinity Designer.

Hola, 

It would be nice that in future versions Ade and APub, that we can edit the photos individually, this process would save a lot of work. Possibly a context menu of the image (open in Photo) or anything else.

For me this option is essential in my workflow

Thank you and I love you for your work

3 hours ago, USD said:

It would be nice that in future versions Ade and APub, that we can edit the photos individually, this process would save a lot of work. Possibly a context menu of the image (open in Photo) or anything else.

In Publisher you can already do that. Double-cick on the image's layer in the Layers panel to open it in a new document tab/window, and switch to the Photo Persona. That uses the StudioLink functionality, which is a feature supported only in Publisher.

If you have all 3 applications, and you only need functions that are available in the Designer Persona of Designre, or the Photo Persona of Photo (with some limitations) then you can just do most of your work in Publisher, using the 3 Personas available there, rather than using the standalone applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @walt.farrell, Thank you very much for your quick answer, 

This is not exactly the solution I am looking for.
I would like to edit individually in APhoto.
I don't like depending on Affinity Publisher for everything. Although I would like this option to also be in ADe.

Thanks again

18 minutes ago, USD said:

I would like to edit individually in APhoto.

From Publisher you cannot do that. When you use File > Edit in ... you are sending the complete document over. And any editing you do that point in the Photo application is to the page the image is on, not to the image itself. Unless you double-click on the image in the Layer panel to open it in a new editing tab.

Double-clicking on the Linked or Embedded image in Publisher will get you an editing tab for it. Switching to the Photo Persona gets you the same editing capabilities you have in the standalone Photo application for editing the image. But now you are working on the image (either the original if Linked, or a copy if Embedded), not the complete page.

The only disadvantage of staying in Publisher is that you need to keep brushes, styles, etc. synchronized between the Publisher and Photo applications, but maybe Serif will take care of that someday. In the meantime, the advantages of being able to edit just the image will usually outweith that disadvantage, in my opinion.

But you are free to use whatever workflow you want, of course, as long as it is one supported by the applications today. Or you are free to post in Feature Requests, and perhaps someday Serif will implement your suggestion.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

but maybe Serif will take care of that someday. In the meantime, the advantages of being able to edit just the image will usually outweith that disadvantage, in my opinion.

I hope so… and apply it in Affinity Designer too

Thank you @walt.farrell for your time and your suggestions.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: