You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OSX 10.11

Media browser won't open files in either iPhoto or photos both of which are stored on an external drive. (won't open on board files either) I am experiencing endless Affinity crashes. I would like some advice on how I can access my RAW photos for editing as at the moment I am disappointed with my purchase.

I am afraid that I am having a similar issue. While I can browse my photos in "Photos" via the Affinity Photo media browser, when I try to open a raw file I just get a jpeg version of it instead of the original .nef file.

Ah, that's a different problem then, it is supposed to work in Yosemite- I just tried the media browser with Photos on Yosemite (on internal drive though) without problem.  Have you tried re-downloading the app from the App store, and resetting the prefs at application launch (hold down Control to bring up the dialog, choose all and reset)?   I would try that under a bootable Yosemite partition if you have one, to make sure it isn't 10.11 breaking it.

Edit: I just tried it with a RAW file, I can't reproduce Jon's crashing problem, but it does behave for me like Scottin says.  If you open a RAW file (using media browser) from a location on the disk, it comes in as a RAW, if you open the RAW version from the Photos library it comes in as a jpeg.

Hoping to hear from the powers that be as to whether this is a glitch in Apple's Photos API, or a whoopsie in Affinity Photo that may be addressed.

This is replicating what happens with MB and images in the Aperture library.  When accessed in Aperture from MB they open as jpegs (or not at all ...) but if you place them in Apple's Picture folder (and use that as a referenced Aperture library), they open as RAWs (NEFs or whatever camera is appropriate). 

Guess it's an Apple thing ...  I had similar issues when trying out other Aperture replacements and gave up.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all.

Ok, so I've just updated my OS to El Capitan 10:11.

I was hoping that now I'm no longer running any beta systems Affinity and El Capitan would become harmonious.

I deleted Affinity and re-downloaded.

I still can't access files in Photos or Aperture either on internal drive or external.

Do any of you tech guys have new information for us ?

Hi ABC.

Yes, I have double checked the XML sharing. It is set to Always.

I also refreshed the export section so the pathway is open to the new literation of Affinity.

I have been on this all day. Not to mention hours spent on the problem over the last year.

Keep me in mind if anything bubbles to the top.

Thanks for your help..... J

Hi Jon,

that’s sad … the very strange thing is that everything works flawlessly here, on Yosemite, and on El Capitan as well (I installed El Cap on a external hard disk for testing purposes). The only annoyance is that the Media Browser is a little slow sometimes. It re-caches the preview images too often, as I assume. (I will ask a question about this in another thread soon). Well, I am sure you read these other threads:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6341-media-browser-not-displaying-all-libraries/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/9750-media-browser/

If you don’t mind this question: Have you already tried to create a new Aperture Library from scratch? I would try this for testing purposes. Just create a new library in Aperture and import a single image. Does it show up in Affinity’s Media Browser?

And as far as RAW files are concerned, you should also have in mind this post of Miguel (MEB):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13391-importing-from-aperture/?p=58975

Does that help a little?  :unsure:

Cheers, Alex

Hi ABC.

Thanks for looking into it. 

I will have another go perhaps using a blank drive.

I'll install a new version and see if it can be read.

At the time of writing this I haven't looked at your supplied links, but I'll definitely have a look tomorrow.

I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks again.

Jon Mac.

Hi hi...

Ok, so I have had a look round for any suggestions and found that I can move closer to parity if I download the Affinity Photo Beta.

I am now running OSX El Capitan 10:11 with a beta build of Affinity Photo 1.3.5.3.

I can now work backward from either photos or Aperture. For instance I can bring a photo up in Aperture and select an option to edit in Affinity and I can also now bring a photo up in Photos and use an Affinity plug in to carry out an edit.

Step forward !!! :)

However, the issue of not being able to open Aperture or Photos from media browser in an external drive still holds.

I can however look into the systems (on board) copy of Photos and see photos.

Using the on board Photos library isn't an option as space on my MacBook Pro is at a premium, hence using external drives.

You can download the beta from the link found here.... https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13346-affinity-photo-customer-beta-1353/ 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13346-affinity-photo-customer-beta-1353/

So ABC.

Thanks once more for working on this conundrum.

If you find any more info on this subject I'd be very pleased to read it.

Jon Mac.