You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been corresponding with MagCloud/Blurb tech support, trying to pin down what they think might be the right Publisher settings for PDFs submitted to them. It's uncharted territory. They don't have experience yet with Affinity Publisher — they have InDesign and QXP templates but none for Publisher — and Serif hasn't commented much about Magcloud/Blurb that I know of.

I did a lot of book pagination in the past, but it was always someone else who did the final prepress work. Blurb has a page that could be useful for people like me who don't have much experience with setting up documents for CMYK processes. The most rudimentary color-management info on the page, I already know. It was the soft-proofing bit that caught my eye.

https://www.blurb.com/blog/color-management-printing/

The web page contains a link to the company's own ICC profile, useful for soft proofing. Scroll down to the What is a Color Profile? subhead, then look in the second paragraph below it for The Blurb ICC Profile is based on the GRACoL2009 reference (etc.). The link to the ICC profile is in that sentence.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

• 1 month later...

Here is PrestoPhoto's take on using Affinity Publisher...

It is much more in-depth than Blurbs PDF discussion.

I am presently working on an 11 x 8.5 photo book template.  I will post it up when I get further along.

https://www.prestophoto.com/help/Affinity+Publisher

PS. Also working on a 12x12...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

Here is a very early (still working on it rev. 1) 12x12 hardcover book template designed for presto photo.

It has 8 master pages and I am sure it is full of errors, but it is a start.

If anyone makes interesting changes please re-upload.

12x12 Photobook r1.aftemplate

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder