You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workflow suggestions | Merge selected | Colour Picker

A few things that nag me that could have a good workflow impact :

Merge selected : Add merge selected to the right click of layers, so adding to merge visible and merge down.

Colour Picker : I want to immediately change the active color of say a font if I drag the colour picker somewhere, instead of having to pick a colour, and than click the colour on the little swatch.

38 minutes ago, Paintbox said:

Colour Picker : I want to immediately change the active color of say a font if I drag the colour picker somewhere, instead of having to pick a colour, and than click the colour on the little swatch.

Hi @Paintbox, welcome to the forums.

I work on a Mac and can do what you are asking for, I keep the layer that has the text selected, I use the colour picker from the left toolbar rather than the one on the colour panel, I pick a colour and it instantly updates the text. I don't know if it works the same way on Windows though.

1676699043_ScreenShot2020-04-03at11_48_10.png.d82905a29e39c3ce627b75ea12d16ff6.png

• 1 month later...

I too would like both suggestions in the original post. Merge selected is used much more than merge down and should also be part of the context menu when you right click. A slight bug bear for me is Merge visible leaves the original layers in place. I appreciate its a non destructive way of working but we choose merge visible because thats what we want; to merge everything. Not merge everything then have to delete the original layers. If we change our minds thats why we have the history panel isn't it?

The colour picker tool I find just a plain waste of time! The completely needless click on the swatch afterwards is a massive frustration. On a large screen colour picking lots of elements with all the extra clicks and mouse movement is stupid. Only this week did I find out that the colour picker tool on the other side of the screen doesn't come with the extra click?! Whats all that about! That needs to happen in the colour swatches panel. It makes people think the colour picker tool in the swatches panel is broken when it doesn't immediately update once you choose a colour.

The UI/UX should be efficient and intuitive. Most of Affinity's stuff is but there are some elements that simply baffling!

Oh and the selection tool and inpainting tool icons need to be more distinguishable. 

• 2 months later...