You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for Windows - 1.8.3

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Publisher, version 1.8.3

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Publisher for Windows 1.8.3 (over the last release Affinity Publisher for Windows 1.8.2) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

General

• Fix for autosave/recover not working on anything but new documents.
  • Fixed issues with live filters making layers disappear
  • Fix for embedded documents not rendering at specific zoom levels
  • Fix for crash and incorrect placement moving a group into or out of a Picture Frame
  • Boolean Operation fixes
  • Fixed possible crash saving documents containing embedded documents if there was a colourspace mismatch
  • Via Layer Panel, linked documents were being opened as embedded and edits were not being committed to the linked file
  • Shift-Invert selection behaviour with the Move Tool was broken
  • Resource Manager 'Collect' could collect multiple copies of the same placed image
  • (Mac) In the New Document dialog, 'Show in Finder' wasn't working for top level folder
  • (Win) Font Manager could be launched with Resource Manager
  • (Win) Fixed crash cycling through justification options in a table
  • (Win) Fixed crash opening empty (0 Kb) files
  • (Win) Floating (undocked) panels were collapsing too small and clipping content
  • (Win) Create artboard missing from New Document dialog in Designer Persona

Page Management

• Fixes for page operations that required spreads to be split
  • Page objects could be incorrectly rescaled when master page was resized

Text

• Filler text is now copied to clipboard as the expanded text rather than as '<FillerText>'
  • Unpinning a node can scale it incorrectly
  • Fixed crash copying mixture of filler text and regular TextTool
  • Fixed changing text capitalization without a selection causing a crash.
  • Text > Upper Case could crash if the selected text was already Upper Case
  • Copy-paste Arabic text from .docx comes as Chinese in Publisher
  • (Win) Some lines weren't correctly indented when using right align and right indent

Import

• Empty (0 Kb) files could crash the import process

Export

• PDF Export was not honouring  gradient map's colour space
  • PDF Export images downsampling to the wrong DPI under certain circumstances
  • PDF Export was failing with placed documents in LAB colourspace
  • PDF Export of placed images makes more effort to preserve their colour space
  • PDF Export fix for export of objects  with empty clipping paths

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.8 since 1.7 (including the new 1.8 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.8.0 update announcement and the 1.8.2 update announcement

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Publisher).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Publisher for Windows) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When installing I got a prompt from Microsoft to install from MS Store, but they wanted to charge me $25. I continued with the installation outside of the store.

Edited by wfs455
remove problem comment, left info about MS Store

• Staff

@wfs455

I am not sure what you experienced, that seems very odd indeed. I will keep an eye out for anyone else who mentions this, but that is certainly unusual (unique?) and not part of any process we have set up.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 4/28/2020 at 10:32 PM, wfs455 said:

When installing I got a prompt from Microsoft to install from MS Store, but they wanted to charge me $25. I continued with the installation outside of the store.

If you go to [Windows Settings > Apps > Apps & Features] there should be a drop-down menu in the "Choose where to get apps" section.  This should be set to "Anywhere" by default, but it sounds like it may have been changed to one of the other settings.  If you choose "Anywhere", you shouldn't see the Microsoft Store prompts.

001.png.b6cbbda33b392ae2bff14117586ab4b2.png