You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows - 1.8.3

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Designer, version 1.8.3

Changes in this Build

The changes in Affinity Designer for Windows 1.8.3 (over the last release Affinity Designer for Windows 1.8.2) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Fixed layers getting clipped to embedded documents would not get clipped
  • Further boolean operation improvements 
  • Tweaks to Alignment
  • Fixed line caps on strokes with pressure profiles that have sharp pressure changes at the start getting incorrectly expanded
  • Fixed loss of selection scope when deleting objects
  • Improved boolean operations on large shapes
  • Fixed PDF export failing due to colour profile being rejected wrongly
  • Fixed rendering artefacts with small radius filter effects
  • Fixed PDF export to honour gradient map's colour space
  • Fix for autosave/recover not working on anything but new documents.
  • Fixed crash opening empty (0 Kb) files
  • Fixed PDF export failing with embedded LAB document
  • Fixed PDF export of images to preserve their colour space
  • Fixed PDF export failing when a document contains an empty clip
  • Fixed cropped result when creating a selection from a mask
  • Fixed sporadic selection failure when invert selecting with Move tool
  • Fixed sporadic PSD import crash
  • Fixed floating panels being clipped when collapsed 
  • Help and Localisation improvements.

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.8 since 1.7 (including the new 1.8 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.8.0 update announcement and this 1.8.2 update announcement

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Designer).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Designer for Windows) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Brilliant!...Thank you for the latest updates...and continually fuelling my addiction!:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

thank you everyone in serif, especially that you keep delivering under those weird times we are in.

Stay safe!

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• Staff
35 minutes ago, johnyoungphotos said:

Very impressive to even get an update at all  - Thank you

1.8.2 -> 1.8.3 cycle has been the first release which has been done entirely while working from home. We appreciate your thoughts.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you so much 😃 Unexpected but highly welcome 😃

Keep up the great work and stay safe and healthy!

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

2 minutes ago, Niall123492 said:

Hi, is it ok to delete previous versions of the Affinity suite when installing these updates?

You should only have the new version on the machine after you update. The update process should not result with new and old versions residing on your computer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

1.8.2 -> 1.8.3 cycle has been the first release which has been done entirely while working from home.

You guys want to sell the office building?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for this great update guys... stay save all

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• Staff

Was there a "more information" link? It should have brought you to this thread. If it doesn't perhaps @Mark Ingram can fix that 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Was there a "more information" link? It should have brought you to this thread. If it doesn't perhaps @Mark Ingram can fix that 

Not sure which link you're referring to, but the in-app Download button takes you to the store's update page, e.g. https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/ There are no release notes on that page, but that would probably be a useful addition.

• Staff

@Chryssalis_Eddie

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

On 4/3/2020 at 11:33 AM, Chryssalis_Eddie said:

Where did refine go? 

Please can you post questions  into the Questions forum, describing what you are seeing and what you have tried.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Patrick Connor, again WMF/EMF export is still broken after all those years.

1. To reproduce EMF issue in Windows 10: make shape with any properties in Affinity Designer (document size 800x400 px, sRGB, 96 DPI), export as EMF, insert into Word 2016, save as PDF (from Word 2016). Shape is invisible.
  2. To reproduce WMF issue in Windows 10: make shape with outline stroke 3 px in Affinity Designer (document size 800x400 px, sRGB, 96 DPI), export as WMF, insert into Word 2016, shape outline barely visible, save as PDF, shape outline almost invisible.

WMF/EMF is the only way to insert vector images into Microsoft Office products. Please fix this. Inkscape can save to EMF/WMF perfectly fine.

Two feature requests:

1. Please add bitmap tracing via same open-source algorithm that is used in Inkscape. It works great. Affinity Designer has no such feature at all.
  2. Please add repeat object around shape/path. The workaround using text tool is very messy and provides unsuspected results.

Multipage pdf's are still interpreted when placed and must be imported page by page ...  "Add pages from file..." is not a solution, as you get pdf pages broken into lines and graphics. Publication, combined from few dozens, even hundreds of pdf pages, graphics (...) is still painful to do in Publisher.  One would expect, this is THE basic operations any DTP app would do since Pagemaker times. This non-feature keep us from integrateing Publisher into production in our institution (municipality). :( 

On 4/3/2020 at 9:26 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Tweaks to Alignment

What tweaks exactly? I can't select the "Align To" to what I want to align, like I use to - is this a bug or it is suppose to be like this from now on? If so, what is the logic behind it, so I can get used to it.

For example in the attached pic I can't select to align vertically to the "Last Selected" I am forced to align to the margins. Why?

Thank you :)

2020-04-15 (2).png

28 minutes ago, lsilva.m said:

For example in the attached pic I can't select to align vertically to the "Last Selected" I am forced to align to the margins. Why?

You can select it; you just need to select one of the Align Vertically options first.

Serif have said this is intentional, and not a bug. I think they said that the older behavior of selecting where you wanted to align before selecting the kind of alignment you want was less logical.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can select it; you just need to select one of the Align Vertically options first.

Serif have said this is intentional, and not a bug. I think they said that the older behavior of selecting where you wanted to align before selecting the kind of alignment you want was less logical.

I think Serif should employ a normal graphic designer who normally deals with graphic design in Affinity programs.
This graphic designer would immediately say which Serif ideas suck and which ones are very good.
For me, now the alignment options are bad and illogical. Earlier before the change it was very good.
So Serif I am asking you - hire a normal Graphic Designer - I can add to his monthly salary - that before the beta or proper version - he indicates what needs to be improved.
We at the Forum will also tell you what needs to be improved, and certainly these alignment options, and of course, so that they are also available as a separate docker.