You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing from the Apple Photo app

Having just purchased Affinity Photo I would like to use it to edit photos that I have stored in the new Apple Photo app. Is there a convenient way to achieve this and then to return the photos post edit. All my photos are jpeg.

I cannot find a way of making Affinity my edit preference in Apple Photo.

I can use "file - open" to select which is a little cumbersome given the number of photos stored, and

I can export the edited image to (say) desktop and then transfer back to Apple Photo but this, again, doesn't seem very efficient.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi Pete,

Apple's new Photos for OS X, doesn't include support for external editors, at least not yet. So, if you really want to move your images out of Photos and into Affinity Photo. The answer is to manually round-tip them. No, not efficient at all but that is the way it is for now. Yes, previously iPhoto had that function and works great.

​You could try in Affinity Photo and go to the view menu and choose media browser and open your pics that way from Photo's, mine say's I don't have permission for some reason, not that it bothers me as I don't use it, but tried that way with iPhoto and it does not save back any changes I make.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Thanks Alan

Tried media browser and found out that work not saved back to Photo so not useful for me. I can obviously work round the problem - just a bit long winded. Hopefully will improve in future Photo updates. At least I know I'm not missing something obvious, so thanks for the info.

Pete

No worries, really is an Apple thing. Hopefully they'll update that soon. Depending of your use for Apple Photos, you could back to iPhoto as that works well with Affinity Photo, or switch to something like Lightroom (again this works with APh) if your just after a way of managing you pictures and want to edit elsewhere. Alternatively carry on as you are until an update.  :)

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

While I can open picts in Photos from the Affinity Photo media browser, what is opened is a jpeg and not the original .nef file that was imported to Photos. Is there any fix for this?

Hi,

I used Folder Actions in Automator to I round-trip image between Photos app and Affinity Photo. 

Folder A: images added to this folder will be opened by Affinity photo.

Folder B: images added to this folder will be opened by Photos app

When I want to transfer an image file from Photos to affinity for further processing, I just export the file to Folder A. After processing, I export the new image file from Affinty Photo to Folder B. The new processed image will show up right next to the original image in the Photos app. 

Lau

The problem I see with this in Affinity Photo is it tells you that the modified file opened from the Apple Photos Library has been saved when in fact it has not. Until users figure that out, a lot of work could be lost.

At the least, an error message should pop up when you try to save the file back to the original location (usually somewhere in the Masters folder of the Apple Photo Library). Alternately, trying to do a save should automatically switch to 'save as' & allow users to choose a folder somewhere other than in the Apple Photos Library.

P.S. How annoying is it that Apple named their app "Photos"? I'm getting very tired of having to type something like "Apple Photos" to distinguish it from every other thing that way too generic name could mean.  :angry:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi, 

To setup Folder A (images added to this folder will be opened by Affinity photo), which is named "To Affinity" in this example:

file:///Users/lauwai/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-23%20at%208.38.42%20pm.png

file:///Users/lauwai/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-23%20at%208.39.20%20pm.png

After I export an image file from Photo to this folder, the file will remain in this folder, and it will be opened in Affinity Photo. 

file:///Users/lauwai/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202015-07-23%20at%208.41.25%20pm.png

Hi R C-R

Learned this the hard way! Strangely though one of my edited images (out of about 6) did save back correctly. Cannot figure out what I did differently in this particular case. As you say, better to 'save as' to prevent disasters!

Pete

Hi,  

Having problem posting image to this site. 

To create the Folder A: 

1) Open Automator

2) Choose Folder Action

3) On the very top, choose a folder

4) Drag "Finder items" "Open finder items" to the right

5) Choose Affinity Photo as the Application

6) Save

All my edited images have been saved correctly.

I use a referenced Photos app library (not sure if that make any different).

Lai

Hi guys,

I think I have found the problem. 

Use the "export" function to export file from Photos to Folder A---> Affinity Photo.

Likewise, only use the "export" function to export edited file (JEPG or TIFF) from Affinity Photo to Folder B--->Photos

If you use "Save" or "Save as", then it won't work.

If Save/Save as to Folder B, Photos apps cannot read the .afphoto file from affinity photo. If Save/Save as to folder A, an error message will occur.

You have to save the .afphoto files on another folder. 

Lai

Hi, 

I have export a edited image from Affinity Photo to Folder B as a PSD file. Photos was able to correctly import the file. I reopened the PSD file with Affinity Photo and the layers and masks are still there. But I am not use if it make any different saving an Affinity Photo document as a PSD vs .afphoto file. 

Lau

Hi Lau

Quick question if you are still around. What Automator action are you using for folder B. I have folder A working perfectly well but exporting edited image to folder B is not opening Apple Photos at all. I was hoping it would take me back to Photos with the edited image. Thanks in advance.

Pete

Hi pete,

To create the Folder B: 

1) Open Automator

2) Choose Folder Action

3) On the very top, choose a folder (you can name it Folder B or anything you like)

4) From "Finder items", drag "Open finder items" to the right

5) Choose "Photos" as the Application

6) Save

Be sure to use the "export" function in Affinity Photo, to export either JEPG, TIFF or PSD files to Folder B. Save/Save as to Folder B will not work, as Photos can not read .afphoto files.

Lau

Thanks Lau

Not sure at the moment why it's not fully working for me. Set up exactly as you suggest but Photos not opening. The exported JPEG is sitting in folder B but action not being performed.

I will keep trying -thanks for your help.

Pete

Hi pete,

Not sure what the issue is. May be try this:

Create a new Folder B on desktop

1) Open Automator

2) File-->New

3) Choose Folder Action

4) On the very top, choose Folder B

5) From "Finder" items, drag "Open finder items" to the right

6) Choose "Photos" as the Application

7) Save

Lau