You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Window resize issue

I'm trying to use Affinity as much as I could slowly migrating from Adobe software. But there are weird issues sometimes that turns me off. I'm not sure what's wrong here and if it's a bug but the inside window behaves very strange when resizing. It works fine with empty inside window in the same session. The same behaviour is both in Designer and Photo. I am on the latest version. The issue was in two previous versions as well. Don't know about the earlier releases though.

Resizing a document window in Affinity does not automatically zoom the document contained within the window. If that's what you're talking about I do not think that is a bug; I think it is intended behavior.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, haakoo said:

The delay with the resizing of the window isn't in version 1.8.3

I didn't know there was 1.8.3 update. I was on 1.8.2.

Downloaded the latest versions for both Designer and Photo and the delay is still there. It's not as prominent in Designer if you do slow moves but I tested it with extreme behavior and it doesn't look good. It's even worse on Photo. I wouldn't worry about extreme use case but it's still noticeable and irritating because it happens with slow moves as well from time to time. It give Affinity products a sluggish unresponsive feel. I hope it'll get fixed in future releases.

@Alexey Adamitsky

2 hours ago, Alexey Adamitsky said:

It's nice that you don't have these issues. Unfortunately, I do

Unfortunately, the fact that @Sean P is unable to reproduce the problem strongly suggests it is being caused by something on your computer.  I am absolutely no expert on such things but I wonder whether it is the fact that you have a larger monitor size, or even that you are using two GPUs?  I entirely agree it should not happen but it may be down to you to troubleshoot the problem on your computer, especially if no-one else can reproduce it.

BTW, you also wrote 

2 hours ago, Alexey Adamitsky said:

Running latest Windows 10 1903

The "latest Windows 10" (full release) version is actually 1909.  Is it worth considering updating to this version?

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

46 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

I entirely agree it should not happen but it may be down to you to troubleshoot the problem on your computer, especially if no-one else can reproduce it.

It may be, but I'm not convinced yet. The fact that I am the only one who reported it doesn't say much yet. If it's a rather unique issues it might be just the case that there are people who observes it but isn't bothered by it. Even less so have time or desire to report it on the forums. I don't think Affinity's userbase is big enough yet to report all the smaller issues on a variety of hardware options.

At this point I can help by providing all the request info to help developers if they want to figure it out. Other than that I don't see how I can debug the veiwport behavior in a closed commercial software I relatively recently began to use.

I have a hunch it might have something to do how Designer updates/renders viewport but other than that I have no idea what can cause it on a software level. I doubt it's my system although I don't exclude it. It's been very stable for a long time.

• 4 months later...

Actually, Alexey I'm seeing the exact same thing. I thought it was my drivers but I just updated them and it didn't clear up the issue. Oddly it worked fine after a restart but then started misbehaving again.

I'm on Win 10 1909
2560 x 1440 - 100% scaling
32 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1070
I do have a multiple display set up.

I don't think it's a video card issue. As when I grab the whole window and move it around, there is no lag. It's just when I resize a window with an open document. Even when it is a blank document I get lag. If I just open the program and DON'T open a document, there is NO lag.

Memory leak?

I did a further experiment. I changed the monitor resolution to 1920 x 1080 and tried resizing the window. It starts off fine and then slows as I continue resizing the window. If I pause before trying again, the window again starts off fine but slows as I continue to resize. There is a bottleneck somewhere.

Yet another experiment. I tried to see what the Task Manager said when I just started resizing a window and getting the lag.  For the record I DO have AD set to use my graphics card (Geforce GTX 1070) for acceleration.  What I see is around 17.4 % CPU usage and 3.6 GPU usage.  Shouldn't the GPU usage be higher?

I tried the same thing in Illustrator and Photoshop. BOTH got up to 17-20% CPU usage, BUUUUT their GPU usage was MUCH greater than AD.

Photoshop GPU usage went from 10-20% GPU usage
Illustrator GPU usage was stable around 11% GPU usage.
Neither have the window resize issue.

I changed the settings in AD to use WARP and it didn't perform any better. CPU usage spiked to 50% and GPU usage went to 20%, but the lag persisted.

It's definitely an AD issue.  Probably not efficiently using the Nvidia GPUs.

Annotation 2020-08-26 103031.png

49 minutes ago, JDWrightBrain said:

Here's an odd question for the Nvidia users. Are you all using the Studio drivers or the Geforce Experience drivers? I'm using the latest Studio drivers (452.06).  Would using the Geforce Experience drivers make a difference?

NOTE: Just swapped out drivers and no effect.

I've been experiencing this issue even before I posted about it. So I've been on many different versions of Nvidia drivers and the issues still existed. I'm on the latest driver now and the issue is still there so I doubt it's the driver's fault.

I've seen this problem before; pretty sure it was reported on the forums somewhere but I can't find it to see if there was a resolution provided

Can you upload a screenshot of your Edit > Preferences > Performance settings?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

I've seen this problem before; pretty sure it was reported on the forums somewhere but I can't find it to see if there was a resolution provided

Can you upload a screenshot of your Edit > Preferences > Performance settings?

Mine is 2560x1440.

I experience the issue across both Designer and Photo apps.

Even properties sliders in adjustment layers have delays. It makes apps feel sluggish and slow. Not a great expirience.

Sorry, I think you have misunderstood what I asked for 

Please go into the Edit > Preferences > Performance screen and take a screen snapshot of what you see there and upload it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Here is the screenshot of my settings. I too have the window resize issue in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.  It's odd. Once you start it up, float the window and resize it the movement is smooth. As you continue for a few seconds it gets slower and sloooower until it lags so much that it keeps moving once you let go. There is a bottleneck somewhere. It's almost like a memory cache fills up or something.

Annotation 2020-08-27 093348.png

On 8/27/2020 at 5:25 AM, carl123 said:

Found it!

• 1 month later...

@Alexey Adamitsky

I may have solved my issue. I have a Gigabyte Designare Motherboard. It was on Bios f4 and I updated it to f8. There is an f9b but it's in beta. This seemed to improve if not eliminate the problem. It seems like the resize issue is largely gone. But if I keep grabbing the edge and swirl it around for awhile it starts to slow down. But it takes longer for the slow up to occur. And if I pause a sec before swirling the corner again, it's back to normal.