You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Super newbie here. I am trying to put a clipping mask over a vector PDF architecture plan that has been brought in to Publisher. I have tried to use the pen tool to create a mask which does work, but when the file is exported as PDF this masked image is rasterized. Anyone know why this is happening and how to get it to be a vector mask (if possible)?..

Many thanks

Wrong. that means you rasterized it by yourself.

There are two ways to mask an image(or any object)

1. put the image under the mask(make the image child layer)

2. add the mask to the image as layer mask.

1 is for either of individual or multiple layer.
2 is for individual layer

ap-mask.png

26 minutes ago, ashf said:

1. put the image under the mask(make the image child layer)

The issue is that the raster mask behaves the way I want it to by showing what is inside the shape and excluding what is outside. The opposite thing is happening when I try to do what you have suggested. I am finding this quite confusing. Masks work so differently here..

1 minute ago, moovme said:

The issue is that the raster mask behaves the way I want it to by showing what is inside the shape and excluding what is outside. The opposite thing is happening when I try to do what you have suggested. I am finding this quite confusing. Masks work so differently here..

The mask should be transparent in case 1. both fill and stroke. otherwise it won't work as expected.

Thanks. The problem I have is that the vector PDF I have imported has a bunch of layers in it. They are all grouped inside one group payer. I have tried to put the shape (with a fill that is 100% transparent) on top of the group icon below in an effort to apply the mask to the whole group. Nothing is happening and I do not understand what I am doing wrong...

6 minutes ago, moovme said:

Yes, that is the rough test shape I made with the pen tool. It is filled with white but 100% transparent, and nothing is added to it.

Why don't you put other objects under the mask? otherwise nothing will happen.
You watched the video, didn't you? You supposed to see triangle icon next to mask thumbnail and layers belongs to it as child should be indented to right.

Simply put, I have made a shape and filled it with white (not transparent) and placed it above the layer (group) in question. Then I have drag and dropped this shape on top of the group icon. This then shows the triangle. You mentioned earlier that the shape had to be transparent... This was the problem.

It works now. Thanks