You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for macOS - 1.8.3

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the MacOS release of Affinity Photo, version 1.8.3

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Photo for MacOS 1.8.3 over the release build Affinity Photo for macOS 1.8.2 are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Fixed issue whereby layers clipped at to embedded document would not get clipped.
  • Alignment tweaks.
  • Fixed misidentification of "Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary" when mounted on a Canon camera.
  • Fixed rendering issue with small radius filter effects.
  • PDF export fixes.
  • New document from clipboard improvements.
  • Defringe filter improvements.
  • Boolean op tweaks from Designer.
  • Assorted small crash fixes.
  • Assorted performance improvements.
  • Fix for autosave/recover not working on anything but new documents.
  • Fixed cropped result when creating a selection from a mask.
  • Fix issues with live filters making layers disappear.
  • Fix embedded documents not rendering at specific zoom levels.
  • Try to import PSDs with non-standard vector origination data.
  • Small terminology fixes (EXIF -> Metadata).
  • Fixed sporadic crashes with procedural texture UI.
  • Silenced PSD import warnings which don’t affect the import result.
  • Fixed develop steppers for noise reduction.
  • Assorted other small fixes.
  • Help and Localisation improvements

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.8 made since 1.7 (including the new 1.8 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.8.1 update announcement  and this 1.8.2 update announcement 

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in application menu, Affinity Photo > About).

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer to download and install any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for macOS) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Mac app store purchases and needs a product key).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

12 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

From previous experience, if doing the above fails, then just reinstall from the MAS.

I basically never got notified for the switch from 1.7.x. After reinstalling 1.8.x, been getting the update notifications since.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Affinity Photo 1.7.3, and Designer 1.7.3, I believe both were purchased originally through the Apple App Store (when I checked my orders direct to Affinity the only thing that showed up was the Photo workbook). But the store doesn't show any updates available for me, and when I go to the individual app pages there it just gives a purchase option. I don't see any menu item in the apps to check for updates, as described above. I received an email on 27 February notifying me of the 1.8 release, today was the first time I've been able to take the time to try and update but it isn't working!

If you go to the MAS and search for either program does it ask if you want to open?  If yes, click Open to see if it then ask to update.  If that doesn’t work,  Is it possible that you have more than one Apple ID?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

When you go to MAS on Laptop, search Affinity Photo, does it ask if you want to open?  If yes and you saved your Apple ID to Apple Password & Accounts, go their and copy you ID and Password.  Go to desktop, sign out and sign in with the copied ID and Password.  Just a suggestion to mitigate the possibility that you used a different account and password.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• Staff

@Dennisconcept

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Please can you post again in the questions forum if you need help, this isn't a good place for support

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Patrick,

I see you removed my comment on the update from Mac App Store. My comment was neither a bug nor asking for help for Affinity Photo itself. I still see several posts here as to issues with the update not showing up, yet those comments are here and have not been removed. Would you kindly inform me why my post was removed?

In God's Harmony

I think it was moved 

Moderators will do this on occasion so as to keep things better organized.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Although relevant, your problem is certainly not a generic problem, and so I thought it needed some specific input to get to the bottom of, so I broke/split it off to help you better. However I forgot to @roddy  "at" you when I broke it off, and then combined with the fact that unfortunately split posts do not (by default) have the original poster as a follower of their own thread, then these 2 mistakes resulted in you losing the post. Serves me right for making changes at 10:30 PM on a sunday, Sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Patrick,

Totally understandable. I was getting tired myself. It seems to be an issue with MAS, not Affinity. My Affinity Publisher updated with the prompt when opening it, but this one was purchased directly from Affinity. Not sure if I should have purchased Photo and Designer direct, as well. Thanks for the response, and may God keep all of you and your families healthy & safe!

In God's Harmony

• 3 months later...

@Patrick Connor  Just found this on Apple's website.  What a lovely tribute to Affinity Photo!

Screen_Shot_2020-07-21_at_1_23.49_PM.thumb.png.13b94f6d47c76e0a50d292dcaf407f21.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9