You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Guys.

My name is Andreas Schmidt from Germany.
Who of you used Affinity Photo and Designer on a new MacPro with D300 graphics card?
I use the programs  Affinity Photo and Desinger on a new MacPro and I must say that's rather poor performance compared to my MacBookPro (2012). It takes more than 40-60 seconds before launch the two programs on the MacPro, on the MacBook just 2 seconds. Even when processing OpenType fonts, the Great is more sluggish compared to the Little ones.
Can someone confirm the problem ????
It is a clean and newly installed OS X 10.10.4 with 16GB of memory. Access rights were checked and repaired.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the bad english.

Best regards from Germany

Hi Guys.

My name is Andreas Schmidt from Germany.
Who of you used Affinity Photo and Designer on a new MacPro with D300 graphics card?
I use the programs  Affinity Photo and Desinger on a new MacPro and I must say that's rather poor performance compared to my MacBookPro (2012). It takes more than 40-60 seconds before launch the two programs on the MacPro, on the MacBook just 2 seconds. Even when processing OpenType fonts, the Great is more sluggish compared to the Little ones.
Can someone confirm the problem ????
It is a clean and newly installed OS X 10.10.4 with 16GB of memory. Access rights were checked and repaired.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the bad english.

Best regards from Germany

It seems AP's performance is totally dependent on specific Macs/configuration but the devs can't isolate the problem. I had massive lag whenever I used AP and I was never able to fix it. The crazy part is, there are people with macs older than mine having zero issues.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10693-help-ap-is-very-slow-laggy-on-my-mbp/

Here's my machine...it only took 11 Affinity icon bounces in the dock; that's about 6 seconds.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Serial Number (system): censored

Hardware UUID: censored

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

HTH

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

I'm on a 2009 Mac Pro, dual 2.93, 16gb RAM, ATI Radeon 4870 w/512mb VRAM running OSX 10.9.5 and while it's no speed demon, I am not seeing a real lag problem. Have been thinking of updating to a new Mac Pro so I am watching for Serif's response to this.

• Staff

Vegandi,

I use a very similar machine to yours to develop Affinity Photo - and I don't have any performance issues..

Have you tried holding down the Ctrl key when starting Affinity, then choosing to clear settings?

Also, if you have a few spare moments, could you create a new user account on the Mac Pro, and check if the problem persists there?

If it persists, then we must start looking into what other software might be installed which could cause this problem.

Thanks,

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

And thank you for your comments and efforts. I could locate the problem and it seems to be a problem FONTS ! I have 2 new user created, one with my OpenType fonts, the other only with standard fonts (systems-fonts) .... With my OpenType fonts the MacPro reacts more slowly than without my standard fonts (systems-fonts). An external font manager, the one could be integrated into AP and AD, would be nice :-)

Best regards

Andi