You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection marquee

Hi, In the whole 1.8.2 Affinity collection I can't add or remove object to/from already selected objects by shift-dragging the selection marquee. The preference option "Select object when intersects…" doesn't make change.

Peter

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 | iMac 5K (2017) 24GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.9

Shift-dragging for Affinity objects doesn't work the same way like for symbols in the macOS finder. To add objects to a selection in Affinity you need to shift-click the single objects – or drag without modifier key for the entire selection, the pre-selected included. Then also the ticked intersection preference has an effect (and/or can be de/activated temporarily with control-drag)

By the way, also option and command key work different (vice-versa) than in macOS: In Affinity command-drag duplicates an object, option modifies an action (depending on the tool).

It's a pity but no bug.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yes, but this wasn't earlier. I guess in 1.8.1 (or 1.7) this worked as I described and in other apps too. Shift-dragging added/removed objects to/from selection. Maybe there is some logic behind this new principle, but I can't get it now. I find this new behaviour not intuitive.

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 | iMac 5K (2017) 24GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.9

• Staff

Hi both,

This works as expected on my end in 1.8.3 

• With no objects selected, Shift + Drag selects the objects
  • With a mix of both selected and deselected objects, Shift + drag selects new objects and deselects the pre-selected ones
  • With only selected objects, Shift + Drag deselects objects. 

@Laganama Just to clarify, there actually was a shift-selection issue in 1.8.2 that is supposed to have been solved in 1.8.3 (just released). For example, one of the bug fixes in the 1.8.3 beta cycle was this one:

On 3/26/2020 at 3:38 AM, AdamW said:

Shift-Invert selection behaviour with the Move Tool was broken

Please report back if the issue you are describing is not resolved by 1.8.3