You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature suggestion: Add wrap settings to text-style

For a book project I work with pull-out quotes (see attachment). The quotes have a decoration background, and they are wrapped. However, the wrap is separate from the paragraph style, which adds another unnecessary step for clean formatting. So: please include the text wrap to the style sheet, so that one click formats the pull-out quote including the wrap settings.

Thank you. 🙂

Helmar

Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 11.59.11.jpg

Create a Text Frame with the font, font size, background, paragraph style, etc. that you want. Then set its Text Wrap Settings as you want.

Then, go to the Styles panel (not Text Styles), and Add Style from Selection.

When you need a new pullout quote, create its Text Frame, then click on the Style you added in the Styles panel. All your formatting will be applied, including the Text Wrap Settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Create a Text Frame with the font, font size, background, paragraph style, etc. that you want. Then set its Text Wrap Settings as you want.

Then, go to the Styles panel (not Text Styles), and Add Style from Selection.

When you need a new pullout quote, create its Text Frame, then click on the Style you added in the Styles panel. All your formatting will be applied, including the Text Wrap Settings.

Ohhhhhh..... awesome! Thanks a mil, @walt.farrell - that's so cool! Thank you very much!

You're welcome, Helmar.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...

Then, go to the Styles panel (not Text Styles), and Add Style from Selection.

Walt,

I created one new Text Frame Style for pull quotes that is exactly what I wanted. Thanks for your suggestion!

What I don't understand (yet) is how to insert a separate text frame that I can apply that Style to into the Linked flow of text through multiple Master Page-formatted pages in my Publisher document. I have 150 pages flowing into each other, but I would like to interrupt that flow occasionally with some Pull Quotes. I know I can Edit Detached or Edit Linked on each Master Pages but I am still unclear about (1) which of those two modes to choose; (2) how to insert a separate Text Frame that I can apply the Style to; and (3) what to do to put the now-combined linked text frames back together so the changes ripple properly through the entire publication. 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, bawilliamson said:

Thanks for your suggestion!

You're welcome.

8 minutes ago, bawilliamson said:

What I don't understand (yet) is how to insert a separate text frame that I can apply that Style to into the Linked flow of text through multiple Master Page-formatted pages in my Publisher document.

I think I would simply create a new text frame for the pull quote, and Pin it Floating at the proper spot in the linked frames, with its object wrap settings causing the existing text to flow around it.

-- Walt
PC:

No, you need to leave it pinned, so it remains in the right spot if you add or delete text earlier in the document.

-- Walt
PC: