You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD crashes when expand strokes and press “add”

I have a problem with AD on my iPad Pro.. after expanding strokes I hit add, as I want them in one curve.. but doing this makes AD crash every time.. see video. 

it happens even when choosing a few lines and hit add. 

I have the second generation iPad Pro 12,9 with latest iPadOS and latest version of AD

any solution to this? 

• Staff

Hi 276ccm,
Seems it's crashing because there's nothing selected after you expand the strokes - it losses the selection - however the boolean operation icons remain active. Can you try the add operation again making sure you have the expanded lines selected after expanding them please? Does it still crash for you?

Even with an new empty document it crashes if you tap on the add boolean operation icon in the More menu. I'm logging this to be looked at.

Hey, and thanks a lot! The expanded lines added correctly when I selected the the ones I expanded. 

I could choose all the files at the same time, but when I then pressed expand, it made some "strange" expanded shapes... probably because there are so many lines close to each other. I don’t know if that is a bug.. the problem on the iPad is to chose x number of lines that are this close and expand, and then try to choose the exact same lines again before hitting add. 

i guess it’s better to do this operation on the Mac then (as soon as my wife is done with her home office) as it’s easier to choose the lines from the layer menu.. it works as an emergency, but.. 

Anyway thanks a million times for fast reply and to help me with this 🙂 Stay safe and continue the good work!

• Staff
15 hours ago, 276ccm said:

I could choose all the files at the same time, but when I then pressed expand, it made some "strange" expanded shapes... probably because there are so many lines close to each other. I don’t know if that is a bug.. the problem on the iPad is to chose x number of lines that are this close and expand, and then try to choose the exact same lines again before hitting add.

I've been checking this again with some more time: the issue is the lines you are selecting to expand (in the beginning of the video) are already expanded curves (not strokes) so the command does nothing and loses the initial selection. When you then click add (with no selection active) the app crashes (this is already logged). If you select some "true" strokes (so, not expanded yet) and expand them, Designer does keep them all selected after the expand operation so you don't really have to select them again.

I'm still trying to check those "strange" expanded shapes you mentioned - are you sure you are expanding them and not performing a boolean operation (like add)? That's what usually causes weird shapes/issues...

Hey, yes I'm sorry I just checked now.. the strange shapes doesn't appear when expanding, but using boolean operation add, after I expand the lines.. 

So does that means I have to choose fewer expanded lines before adding, and repeat the operation? 🙂

Expanded lines 

425017759_Screenshot2020-04-02at12_55_09.png.bb3ad4416b53a84274f3103454a6b089.png

And after I use Add

997785870_Screenshot2020-04-02at12_54_53.png.da93eae25f538de6986422e550c41048.png

• Staff

No, it should fail no matter how many lines you have selected. These "artefacts" are the (failed) result of the add boolean operation between these particular shapes in these particular positions. Even if you select just those two it should equally fail (sometimes moving the position of the shapes or slightly changing/edit them may fix the issue but it should work correctly from start without changing anything).
I will try to find a few more in your file and log them to be tested against improved/revised boolean operations code. Thanks.

Thanks a lot MEB! 🙂 I found a way it works for me now.. (now I´m on the computer tho) 

I select all the lines in the layer, then expand them.. it looks all good. Then I chose some lines with the node tool and hit add (and check if they look ok after). Then I make the new curve invisible. Then I choose more expanded lines, and redo the process.. and of course check if it looks ok after each process. 

I did this with all the design, without adjusting any lines and it worked fine 🙂 I can try to make a video as soon as I finish this project if you want? 🙂

Thanks again for all help! 🙂

• Staff

I'm glad you found a way to move it forward taking smaller steps. Ideally it should work without the need for that (unless maybe dealing with very complex shapes with a very high number of nodes like vector textures and similar) but as long as you are able to finish the work as you wanted that's what matters :)
I don't need the video for checking/logging the issues - i have your file already to replicate them - but as an insight of the process and end result i think it's a great share that a lot of users (me included) would like to see if you are willing to do it (maybe in the Share your work section?).

Thanks for your support.