You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph text disappears from the whole document when I change the layout to Facing pages

Paragraph text disappears from the whole document when I change the layout to Facing pages

Well, I have installed the program in a machine with plenty of resources (you can see the PC where AP is running in my profile, although I clarify that I am not boasting of anything), I have been using the program to layout a 360 page history and archaeology publication.

All the work done is in danger when one has problems with the software if it is not consolidated and that seems to be the case of Affinity Publisher, although I am not crying because I did not do it in the very old and reliable Ventura. If it were just a pamphlet or a magazine of a few pages, it wouldn't be a problem, but it is a huge document that must be printed and there are deadlines for delivery.

The truth is that, when you want to change the document configuration and in the design tab to the option of facing pages, ALL THE TEXT that has been formatted with styles and corrections, with hundreds of hours of work, DISAPPEARS from ALL THE PAGES. I don't know if it's my fault because I'm missing something in the commands, because it's logical that one can delay in knowing the program well or it's a tremendous flaw that should be corrected by the developers.

There are a lot of other detected flaws, the program hangs, the use of superscripts is a problem, the styles sometimes don't apply, exporting text from any other program is a headache because the copied and pasted file is loaded with "garbage" (I must to convert everything to plain text using the notepad first, then the text just fits the style defined in APublisher, etc.

By the way, when are you going to include a decent Spanish language dictionary? Because the little window that indicates that there are things wrong or missing is a nuisance, and even more so seeing that every word in the language looks like a spelling or grammar mistake in the "preflight" viewer. If the program wasn't ready, you shouldn't have published it and been selling it to Spanish-speaking customers, and, YES, guys, we produce culture here too, and we need top-notch tools!

Is it time to go back to the old but reliable workhorse I used before?

---------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL EN ESPAÑOL

El texto de párrafo desaparece de todo el documento cuando cambio el diseño a Páginas enfrentadas

Bien, tengo instalado el programa en una máquina con recursos de sobra (pueden ver la PC en la que corre AP en mi perfil, aunque aclaro que no estoy presumiendo de nada), he estado usando el programa para maquetar (diagramar, diseñar) un libro de difusión de historia y arqueología de 360 páginas.

Todo el trabajo realizado corre peligro cuándo uno tiene problemas con el software si este no está consolidado y ese parece ser el caso de Affinity Publisher, aunque no estoy llorando por que no lo hice en el viejísimo y confiable Ventura. Si tan solo fuera un panfleto o una revista de pocas páginas, no sería un problema, pero se trata de un documento enorme que debe ser impreso y hay fechas límite para entregarlo.

Lo cierto es que, al querer cambiar la configuración de documento y en la pestaña de diseño a la opción de páginas enfrentadas, TODO EL TEXTO que se ha formateado con estilos y correcciones, con cientos de horas de trabajo, DESAPARECE de TODAS LAS PÁGINAS. No sé si es mi culpa por que estoy dejando pasar algo en los comandos por que es lógico que uno puede demorar en conocer bien el programa  o es una falla tremenda que debieran corregir los desarrolladores.

Hay un sinnúmero de otras fallas detectadas, el programa se cuelga, el uso de superíndices es un problema, los estilos a veces no se aplican, exportar texto desde cualquier otro programa es un dolor de cabeza porque  el archivo copiado y pegado llega cargado de "basura" (debo convertir todo a texto sin formato usando el block de notas y al pegar, entonces el texto recién se adapta al estilo definido en APublisher, etc.

Por cierto, ¿cuándo van a incluir un diccionario decente de idioma español? por que la ventanita que indica que hay cosas mal hechas o que faltan es una molestia, y mucho más ver que cada palabra del idioma se vea como una falla ortográfica o gramática en el visor de "preflight". Si el programa no estaba listo, no debieron publicarlo y venderlo a los mercados de habla hispana, y, ¡SÍ, señores, aquí también producimos cultura y necesitamos herramientas de primer nivel!

¿A alguien más le pasa lo mismo? ¿es tiempo de volver al viejo pero confiable caballo de batalla que usaba antes?

Here is the info about my system:

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 4/1/2020, 11:26:13
             Machine name: GIO

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
                 Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
                Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
                   Memory: 32718MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 32718MB RAM
                Page File: 18557MB used, 23889MB available
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
---------------
           Card name: AMD Radeon RX 5700
           Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x731F)
            DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
      Display Memory: 24510 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8151 MB
       Shared Memory: 16359 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Display Topology: Extend
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
       Monitor Model: DELL U2711
         Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)
         Output Type: Displayport External
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BP

step 3.png

step 1.png

step 2.png

Edited by Giovanni Pietri

Sorry you're having problems, Giovanni.

I can comment on a few of them:

1. Superscripts: If you're looking at the Typography section in the Character studio panel, for example, you can specify a Superscript or Subscript setting:
    image.png.23497f5cdaa014b9b9ba5466b7a39974.png 

Those settings work only for characters where the font supports superscript or subscript. So, if I were to apply those settings to a "2" character, they would work, because my font allows the "2" to be superscripted or subscripted. However, if I try to apply them to a "g", they are not effective because my font does not supply that character as a superscript or subscript.

In that case, I would need to use the options in the Positioning and Transform section of the panel:
    image.png.dc626b492ba46241279227d2f7501791.png

If you select the option there, Publisher will simulate superscript or subscript (whichever you choose).

2. Spanish language dictionary: I am somewhat surprised to see that Publisher doesn't ship with dictionaries for all its User Interface languages. If you're on a Mac, and using Publisher, it should be able to use the Spanish dictionaries already installed on your Mac. But on Windows, or to add additional dictionaries for other languages, Serif provides instructions in this FAQ entry so you can add additional dictionaries yourself:
  3. Text from other programs: If the programs can save to .docx or .rtf format you may have a better result importing those formats than by using copy/paste.

I hope you find those useful.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, thank you for your sooner answer.

Yes, I know the superscripts would depend of the typograhy settings, and there are not problem if I choose the fonts families by their capabilities, also the language if was developed only for english or another lingo,  even if the settings where builded in latin basis or "zulu", but that isn´t the problem for me, as example, when i have to consign a image reference in middle of a paragraph (with "body" style) I only typing something like this: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, (fig. 37a-b)" and there is when this "a" changes from normal to superscript, (of course in the up position, not  in the baseline) but if I write "b" or "z" characters, they remains the same. Also when I use the superscript for a reference in a footnote, ( I´m using APA parameters) many of the last characters, in the end of some words appears in superscripts, example: "1Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit" (again, in the up position, not  in the baseline). So, that is really a bad thing for serious work.

About the dictionaries, thankyou for the info, I would check that info, and i´ll learn about that, but  that thing is really a failure of this software. Hope they could include the dictionaries in the next great delivery. I think could be very nice if they use a international spanish, not only spanish (from spain) one, because there exist millions of words which are not from the original language.

About the plain text, that´s really easy to do, but unfortunatelly, there are things like italics, some quotes and other gramatical elements lost in the process.

greets

18 minutes ago, Giovanni Pietri said:

when i have to consign a image reference in middle of a paragraph (with "body" style) I only typing something like this: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, (fig. 37a-b)" and there is when this "a" changes from normal to superscript, (of course in the up position, not  in the baseline) but if I write "b" or "z" characters, they remains the same. Also when I use the superscript for a reference in a footnote, ( I´m using APA parameters) many of the last characters, in the end of some words appears in superscripts, example: "1Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit" (again, in the up position, not  in the baseline). So, that is really a bad thing for serious work.

You're welcome, Giovanni.

It sounds like you're enabling the Typography superscript and subscript settings generally in your paragraph style. And it seems like you should not do that in a paragraph text style. Enter your text, and if you have a character or characters that should be superscript or subscript, assign them a Character style that has the right Typography option enabled.

21 minutes ago, Giovanni Pietri said:

About the plain text, that´s really easy to do, but unfortunatelly, there are things like italics, some quotes and other gramatical elements lost in the process.

But if you transfer it as .docx or .rtf (or .idml) the italics, bold, and other elements should be retained. Even some of your text styles would carry over in .docx, though that, too, can be a problem.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

It seems that the update to version 1.8.3 641 has brought the solution to the problem of text disappearing when switching to double page view mode or facing pages, I had noticed that it was the link between page and page that caused the failure as apparently the text frames were left without a link. 

Greetings