You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HSL adjustment: hue shift slider function?

I'm not sure I completely understand the HSL adjustment > hue shift slider. I selected "green" and want to move the control dial over to the "orange" part on the left but when I drag the slider, the entire color bar shifts. How do I set my color to orange, or any other color I choose? TIA

Annotation 2020-04-01 105913.jpg

• Staff

Hi im140.6,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Seems you are doing things correctly. If you drag the Hue Shift slider to the orange part only the green areas of the image should be affected (and you should see the the outside ring near the green turning orange).
I'm not sure what you meant with the entire color bar shifts. Can you record a small clip showing what you are doing or post a screenshot with the Hue Shift slider moved to the orange area and take a screenshot of the HSL adjustment panel so we can see what's going on? Thanks.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi im140.6,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Seems you are doing things correctly. If you drag the Hue Shift slider to orange part only the only the green areas of the image should be affected (and you should the the outside ring near the green turning orange).
I'm not sure what you meant with the entire color bar shifts. Can you record a small clip showing what you are doing or post a screenshot with the Hue Shift slider moved to the orange area and take a screenshot of the HSL adjustment panel so we can see what's going on? Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. In my OP, the green color was selected and, in the Hue Shift bar, orange is under the "h" in Shift. In my post now, I did 2 things: selected green and moved the Hue Shift control slider to the left, under the "h" in Shift. As I start moving the slider, the entire bar (hue shift spectrum) starts shifting. As you can see, orange (in the horizontal hue shift) has moved center-right. What's even more confusing, even though my slider appears to be stopped on cyan, the color wheel outer ring is purple. Where does THAT come from?!

Isn't there a way for me to pick red, yellow, green, cyan, etc, then with the hue shift slider just move it to the color on the hue shift spectrum that I want?

Annotation 2020-04-01 210159.jpg

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi im140.6,
Thanks for the screenshot and video. Something's not right here. I'm checking/logging this to be looked at.

Is this something I need to reach out to support? Or, is your role here to log issues like this?

• Staff

Hi im140.6,
No need to do anything besides reporting the issue here in the Forums as you did (this is Affinity's official support channel). It's up with the Moderators (from various Serif's departments/teams - Support/QA etc) to test/log issues like these to be fixed. Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. Fixed issues are then listed along with new Beta releases in the Beta sections of the forums.

We usually also update the threads where the bugs were reported so users know the issues were fixed.

12 hours ago, im140.6 said:

Thanks for your reply. In my OP, the green color was selected and, in the Hue Shift bar, orange is under the "h" in Shift. In my post now, I did 2 things: selected green and moved the Hue Shift control slider to the left, under the "h" in Shift. As I start moving the slider, the entire bar (hue shift spectrum) starts shifting. As you can see, orange (in the horizontal hue shift) has moved center-right. What's even more confusing, even though my slider appears to be stopped on cyan, the color wheel outer ring is purple. Where does THAT come from?!

Isn't there a way for me to pick red, yellow, green, cyan, etc, then with the hue shift slider just move it to the color on the hue shift spectrum that I want?

Annotation 2020-04-01 210159.jpg

The behaviour of the horizontal hue slider looks correct to me (and it is broken on macOS where the spectrum in the slider does not move as the handle is dragged). You have dragged the handle so that purple is now where green initially was - about a third of the way from the left of the slider.

To replace green with orange, drag the handle so that orange is where green initially was - about a third of the way from the left of the slider.

33 minutes ago, anon2 said:

The behaviour of the horizontal hue slider looks correct to me (and it is broken on macOS where the spectrum in the slider does not move as the handle is dragged). You have dragged the handle so that purple is now where green initially was - about a third of the way from the left of the slider.

To replace green with orange, drag the handle so that orange is where green initially was - about a third of the way from the left of the slider.

Thanks anon2. So what you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong), is to move the handle and keep an eye on the outer part of the ring until the desired color falls in line with the inner ring? If that's correct, I understand that but it's still confusing why there's a spectrum of colors in the horizontal slider bar.  Thanks again.

22 minutes ago, im140.6 said:

Thanks anon2. So what you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong), is to move the handle and keep an eye on the outer part of the ring until the desired color falls in line with the inner ring? If that's correct, I understand that but it's still confusing why there's a spectrum of colors in the horizontal slider bar.  Thanks again.

I never mentioned the rings. I was talking solely about observing the horizontal slider. However, yes, the rings do show the mapping of each input hue to output hue.

The moving spectrum in the horizontal hue slider is redundant when there are the dual rings, I guess, but it's a hangover from an earlier version of the HSL Shift where there was no ring and, instead, there was a fixed spectrum bar above or below the moving spectrum slider to show the mapping of input hue to output hue. Now that there are rings, the slider could be a solid grey or any colour.

8 minutes ago, anon2 said:

I never mentioned the rings. I was talking solely about observing the horizontal bar. However, yes, the rings do show the mapping of each input hue to output hue.

The moving spectrum in the horizontal hue slider is redundant when there are the dual rings, I guess, but it's a hangover from an earlier version of the HSL Shift where there was no ring and, instead, there was a fixed spectrum bar above or below the moving spectrum slider to show the mapping of input hue to output hue. Now that there are rings, the slider could be a solid grey or any colour.

Thanks again, anon2. So basically, I decided (just for testing) that I wanted everything in the photo that's originally red to have a yellow color. I chose red, noted where red is located in the horizontal spectrum, then moved the slider slightly left until yellow occupied the space where there was originally red. Is this the correct functionality?

Annotation 2020-04-02 110121.jpg

Annotation 2020-04-02 110254.jpg

The attached image show how the HSL adjustment used to be.

The top colour (static) bar represented the original colour and the bottom bar showed what it would change to when you moved the slider.

When they added the rings they removed the static colour bar as the 2 rings showed you the same information but I can't understand why they simply didn't just leave the static colour bar in place as the moving spectrum bar will just confuse new users if they don't know how to first eyeball the colour they want to change and then shift the new colour to that spot.

hsladjustment.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

The attached image show how the HSL adjustment used to be.

The top colour (static) bar represented the original colour and the bottom bar showed what it would change to when you moved the slider.

When they added the rings they removed the static colour bar as the 2 rings showed you the same information but I can't understand why they simply didn't just leave the static colour bar in place as the moving spectrum bar will just confuse new users if they don't know how to first eyeball the colour they want to change and then shift the new colour to that spot.

hsladjustment.png

@carl123 Yeah, lots of confusion on my part. Thanks for posting that capture - that definitely makes more sense.

@MEB thanks for logging this

23 minutes ago, MEB said:

The Hue Shift spectrum/colours is fixed in the macOS version. Only Windows moves it. Still this is unnecessarily confusing and is already logged to be looked at.

The static spectrum behind a sliding handle, now in the macOS version, is a classic example of poor UI design. It misleadingly looks like a hue specifier for a colour picker instead of the shift angle control that it really is. A moving spectrum (which we are now told is a bug) at least conveys the notion of shifting hue.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

I didn't meant the moving spectrum is a bug but that, as is implemented currently, both versions (Win and macOS) are a bit confusing/unintuitive to use for different reasons.

Sorry, I thought when you said one version was fixed, that the other not fixed must be a bug, but I see what you mean: one has been changed while the other has not. A pity that the change makes for a potentially more confusing UI, in my opinion. Anyway, there are far more important issues to be concerned about.

• 6 months later...

It’s simply very confusing if I cannot adjust an Orange color in HUE adjustment. See how many youtuber and instagramer have been sharing tons of “Lightroom preset step by step” but I can hardly do the same with Affinity Photo because of the missing Orange color adjustment... I’m not an expert but I tried to learn, there’s no enough simple tutorial around than Lightroom, and I still stand for Affinity because of much more detail in editing, but without being able to adjust Orange color directly, it’s just very complicated and time consuming..

Hi there thank you for the reply! Yes I noticed this adjusting but many of the situations are I need to adjust both red and orange and the rest of the basic colors.. None of them can seem to be replaced by orange but orange is the same important..