You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating/naming/moving objects' styles

A search in this part of the forum didn't turn up the following requests regarding Styles, but beg pardon if they've already been discussed and I've just missed them.

The newbie experience: Select an object, select the make-a-style-from-it item from the object's context menu—but then it appears that nothing has happened. I thought I'd encountered a bug and tried it a second and third time. Still nothing. Then it occurred to me I'd better check Studio > Styles to see what might have changed there. Of course there were three new styles.

User error, yes, but the "nothing happened" experience is perplexing and could be improved. I would like to suggest: Immediately after saving a style, the user sees a small dialog in which the new style can be named. Then there's the question of its category—if there are already user-defined categories. If there are, their names would appear in a drop-down menu in the dialog where the style's name can be entered. If the user simply clicks the dialog's CLOSE button, the style is saved using the default name selected by Publisher, and the style appears within the default category. Frosting-On-Cake: a CANCEL button...clicking that one would cancel the save-new-style operation entirely.

Additionally: the ability to cut and paste (or copy and paste) styles between categories within the Styles panel. Of course, if there is a name conflict, error message: sorry, can't do it. But, Frosting-On-Cake: if a name conflict occurs, the user has the option to rename the style being moved or copied, or just cancel the operation.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

9 hours ago, MikeA said:

I would like to suggest: Immediately after saving a style, the user sees a small dialog in which the new style can be named.

Agree, and this (object styles) is not the only place I would like to see this, when making a Spare Channel in Photo for instance.

The need to select the new thing in the panel and then right click and then select "Rename" is a royal pain. Perhaps a preference in General or User Interface or Tools could be added to keep the current default Do Not Rename or Bring up Rename Dialog.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.